Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sissoo HF - start to finish

Sissoo HF - start to finish

Yesterday after work I grabbed a log of dalbergia sisso (indian rosewood) to turn a HF. I really like turning this wood, it's got great color, turns very nice and is pretty stable.

Put it between centers and started roughing to a cylinder. This chunk is about 9" x 7" + or -.
    4-13-11 019b.jpg

All roughed and ready to attach to a faceplate.
    4-13-11 023b.jpg

The center is drilled and the neck and shoulder are at final dimensions. I will turn down the sides in stages after the neck and shoulder are hollowed to final thickness. That leaves me the most support during the hollowing process.
    4-13-11 025s.jpg

Hollowing is complete and the piece is sanded to 800 and ready to be parted of so the bottom can be finished. (the crack was filled with CA).
    4-13-11 028s.jpg

Mounted with a jam chuck to clean up the bottom and has a coat of BLO. I will be left with a little nub that I will clean up with a chisel. The jam chuck has a tenon to fit the diameter of the HF opening, it is not a tight fit so there isn't to much pressure on the sides of the neck, it mostly just keeps the piece centered. There is just enough pressure from the tailstock to keep the piece turning.
    4-13-11 030b.jpg

The finished piece is 4 1/4" tall x 5" wide with just the 1 coat of BLO, I will finish it up with several coats of WOP.
    4-13-11 032b.jpg4-13-11 033s.jpg4-13-11 035s.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    As always, critiques and comments are welcome!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I really like the form. I probably would have turned away a little more of the sapwood so that the darker heartwood had a clear dominance in surface area, and the sap more of an accent, but then it wasn't my log. Of course that would have made the piece a little narrower, but to me that would be a fair tradeoff for the richer color and more of that great figure.

Was that log green? Where do you find logs of rosewood?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I like the contrast of the sap wood and the shape works for me!

Beautiful Piece, Kathy!! Geez...your steps are just like mine. I feel better now.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Great looking HF. I've only made one and it wasn't made from a log like that but I have some pieces that would look good like that one. Great shape and thanks for the pics. It gives me lots of ideas.

Kathy, that wood is beautiful, and the form is quite nice as well. I always enjoy seeing your work.
    Mick

Thanks for sharing. Very nice!!

Beautiful piece Kathy and thanks for the pictoral. I too like the contrast of the sap/heart wood.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Thanks for the step by step process...very nice vessel, and yes where does one get an indian rosewood log?

Kathy - great form!! The first time I heard the name Sissoo, it was related to dominos for my Festool Domino. Apparently, the "exterior grade" dominos are of sissoo because of the heartwood's stability in an outdoor environment, and it is resistant to pests.

Very nice Kathy, and thanks for sharing the process. I like this wood, hadn't heard of it before. Nice contrast with the sapwood.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Beautiful wood and a lovely form. Like Hart, I feel vindicated in my methods as I do things exactly the same way.

Beautiful HF Kathy. I do like the wood and the pleasant form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Kathy - great form!! The first time I heard the name Sissoo, it was related to dominos for my Festool Domino. Apparently, the "exterior grade" dominos are of sissoo because of the heartwood's stability in an outdoor environment, and it is resistant to pests.
    You're thinking of sipo John.

Nice form and pretty piece of wood Kathy.

Very nice form and contrast Kathy. Thanks for the step by step process.