Thread: My Nicol Steady, wood gloat and a Creeker meeting (a Triple Play!)

My Nicol Steady, wood gloat and a Creeker meeting (a Triple Play!)

Hey all,

I had originally thought about making my own steady rest but after looking at all of the parts I would have to order, the time cutting and assembling, etc. I thought I should just order one from Jeff Nicol. My time is worth something!

So I talked to Jeff Nicol a few months ago and ordered one. Since he visits his family in the Twin Cities often I asked if we could just meet up when it was ready. This is what Jeff brought me with a few weeks ago when we met:

-A beautiful steady for my Jet 1236

-A large box filled with all sorts of goodies: Black Cherry, Walnut, Boxelder, Maple, Elm, Red Oak, etc. This is enough to keep me busy for a while!

We meet at the local Rockler store and chatted for a while. Jeff is genuinely a great guy and his steady rest looks factory made. It's really that nice!

Thanks, Jeff! Next time you are up in the Twin Cities give me a call. I'd love to meet up again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Nice purchase Doug. Looks like you will be busy for awhile with all that wood!

Great looking steady rest! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of all that wood!

You guys meet at the Rockler in Maplewood? I stop in there every time I go visit the grandkids!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a good looking steady. I have one from Jeff and love it. Looks like you should be busy turning at least for a day or two. LOL
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great gloat. Looks like you have to get busy.

If anyone gets the chance to meet Jeff make sure you do. He's a great guy and a very talented individual.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I've been admiring Jeff's rests for quite awhile now, but I don't recall seeing any pictures of what it looks like with the arms wheels in the closed position.. Now the question... If you were to take 2 apposing arms and rotate them 180°, would that allow the wheels to close up and support something about 1/2" od?????
    Great haul on the wood... Stay busy...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    I've been admiring Jeff's rests for quite awhile now, but I don't recall seeing any pictures of what it looks like with the arms wheels in the closed position.. Now the question... If you were to take 2 apposing arms and rotate them 180°, would that allow the wheels to close up and support something about 1/2" od?????
    Great haul on the wood... Stay busy...... Jerry (in Tucson)
    I have a Nicol clone that I made myself and Yes on mine reversing two of the wheeled arms would allow me to steady very small spindles.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice gloat! I need to get a steady one of these days, I think I will wait until Jeff starts making them again to order one.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Doug, Thanks for being patient with me getting your steady done for you. You were the last one that I had on order and it was great to meet you. I have been going to post a thread about the chunk of Silver Maple you gave me. I cut it up into 5 or 6 blanks and turned a nice tall vase out of the biggest piece and have the rest as bowl blanks. The piece had some crotch wood in it and some great figured grain! I will have to get some pictures of them and start a thread soon.

I hope to meet a bunch of SMC members at the AAW symposium this summer so I will see you there!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great rest and nice wood!

Sounds and looks like a good gloat to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Great looking steady rest! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of all that wood!

You guys meet at the Rockler in Maplewood? I stop in there every time I go visit the grandkids!
    Steve, I've been busy roughing out bowl blanks from a bunch of Silver Maple I just got. I can see a nice bowl from a piece of Boxelder in that pile.

Next time you are in town, let me know. I'm always up for Creeker meetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ranum View Post
    If anyone gets the chance to meet Jeff make sure you do. He's a great guy and a very talented individual.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Doug, Thanks for being patient with me getting your steady done for you. You were the last one that I had on order and it was great to meet you. I have been going to post a thread about the chunk of Silver Maple you gave me. I cut it up into 5 or 6 blanks and turned a nice tall vase out of the biggest piece and have the rest as bowl blanks. The piece had some crotch wood in it and some great figured grain! I will have to get some pictures of them and start a thread soon.

I hope to meet a bunch of SMC members at the AAW symposium this summer so I will see you there!

Jeff
    Jeff, I'll be looking for your pictures. And I'll be sure to post some of what I make from your wood...
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Looks like you have enough there to keep you our of trouble for a while. Always good to meet Creekers.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Jeff has been great to me over this last year and half of my turning adventure! Started off with a steady and hollowing tool setup, and went from there - tool rests, another steady, wood, etc. Great guy that I look forward to meeting in St. Paul, along with a bunch more of you folks!

Congrats on the haul!