Thread: Ideas for drum/flap sander dust collection...?

Ideas for drum/flap sander dust collection...?

OK, I have a Grizzly G8749 drum/flap sander (like the one below). I've been racking my brain on how to build a stand with dust collection for it. I want the stand to bolt/screw down to the floor or to the wall...so it doesn't want to walk. I've got a million ideas for the stand, but what has me banging my head on my workbench is the dust collection part. I have a 6" dedicated duct running to where the sander will be. What ideas do you guys have for a stand and dust collection? Anyone done it already? Got pics? HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!

PS, this thing is kinda big...31" or so across.

I drink, therefore I am.

When I got mine used, it had a HVAC 6x12" hood behind each side, with a Mickey Mouse bar holding them. It looked like it would work a well as anything reasonably sized could, but I took it off without trying it out. I plan to just wheel it outside on the mobile base I made for it. I got it several years ago so my wife could try intarsia. Still waiting.

Rick Potter

Ironically enough, I found one used a few weeks ago, and just used it for the first time today, sans DC.
    Looks like our friends at Grizzle have one solution already on the front cover of their owner's manual- http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0518_m.pdf

I seem to recall picture of another setup in a ww'ing book- something along the lines of a plywood box with the one long corner removed for the spindle/flap drum to fit into. I guess you have to balance how much access to the sander (around the circumference of the sanding drum) with how much collection you want. I did notice that the flap sander produces enough wind to make me cold standing in front of it. I think the last guy left too much paper standing out past the brushes!

by the way, the pneumatic drum (which I had to replace 'cause it had some cracks in the rubber) seemed to throw alot more dust than the flap sander. I think that's because the flap sander was so much more effective in distributing the dust elsewhere in the shop with the wind storm it creates!

I'm thinking about running a trunk line up my stand, then y-ing it off to the 2 ports behind each sanding surface. Entering the plywood box "funnels" from the side facing the ground. the thing already takes up a bunch of floor space for sander!

Bingo, Andrew. That idea about your piping up the middle and wyeing out was where I was going. But I'm racking my brain with whether the hood should be in the back, under, both...how big, blast gates, etc, etc. Thanks for your post(s). I'll look at what Grizzly has on the cover. Keep me in the loop with what you come up with, please.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Oh, and what kind of pedistal did you find? Care to post a pic of the sander on the pedistal? Oh, and yeah, that flap sander does create some wind...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ok, just looked at what Grizzly has... Um, how are you supposed to work on anything with those hoods in the way?! That would be useless for what I need the sander for.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Finally got a round to making a port for the pneumatic drum sander.
    I'm not totally convinced how effective the dust collection is on this port- it definitely works, but not sure how well. When sanding towards the left side of the drum, dust is still picked up in the windstorm created by the flap sander. If you look over at the flap sander side, you can see how much paper is over hanging the brushes- and that's after I cut an inch off! Guess I need to cut again...

Side view of the dust collection port for the pneumatic drum sander. Obviously, the port blocks access to the bottom of the drum, but you have to balance access with getting the dust captured quickly. The top part needed to be cut back so I could see the sanding operation.

I quickly connected this dust collector leg onto the main trunk with 8' of 4" flex, so that contributes to the poor collection. When I get the other side made, I'll run a 6" hard line up the pedastal and Y it.

Andrew, neat idea. I need more access to the drum, though for my applications. I also don't have any sort of stand as of yet. So, I'll have to bring the DC up the pedistal, too...when I make it. Thanks for posting these pics. Even if I don't go with your design, it gives me some ideas to work off of.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Andrew,

Before you cut off more sandpaper it is possible that the amount hanging out is adjustable. Someone told me that about mine, but I haven't checked it out.

Google Sand Rite, then go to self feeding brush head.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-19-2011 at 11:48 PM.