Thread: How to safely disassemble an Oneida dust gorilla pro 5hp?

How to safely disassemble an Oneida dust gorilla pro 5hp?

Hi all,

Oneida is sending us a replacement barrel (portion that has the 8" inlet) due to some manufacturing issues with ours.

Unfortunately we already assembled the unit and it's free-standing on its stand.

As you know, that 5ph motor makes this tall (~8.5'?) unit top heavy.

People move all the time (including woodworkers) and presumably take their equipment with them so this can't be the first time this operation has happened.

Any tips or tricks for safely pulling the unit to the floor?

Our shop has 10' ceilings.

Current ideas include:

* Three people and some brute force to catch it

* Screwing two 2x4 into the drywall/trusses, screwing a cross member across them and using a chain hoist to drop the motor

* Use some kind of engine hoist, though we think the extendable booms top out at 8'

Unfortunately taking it down seems like a more dangerous operation than standing it up.

As I recall a chain hoist needs some clearance, more than you'd think looking at the block. A few years ago we got a very heavy furnace hoisted up and realized we needed it installed higher than the chain hoist would allow. The solution was to put all thread into the top of the unit and turn the nuts. Pleasantly surprised how easily the threads lifted the unit into place.

You can probably skip the hoist and attach it to the ceiling using all thread. Unless you need to drop the motor for some reason.

I put my 5 hp Dust Gorilla on the stand together last year and it was a struggle. I assembled it laying on the ground. I used an engine hoist to lift it up part way about 45 degrees. I then used a small block and tackle to pull it up straight. The block and tackle was attached high on the wall and then to the motor. I also installed some blocks on the floor to keep the legs from sliding.

Even with the lifting equipment, it would be helpful to have a couple of strong friends. Just be careful as there will be pinch points and it is heavy.

I used the engine hoist to put the motor on when it was laying on the floor and it was not real easy. That motor is heavy and difficult to orient just right.

Attach a block to the ceiling above it then run rope through from the motor through the pulley and down to a winch/come along/chain hoist attached to something "solid" near the ground. Lift the motor enough to clear the impeller housing, slide the cyclone to the side and lower the motor straight down. The rest of the cyclone should be no problem for a couple of people to lay down. If you feel uncomfortable attach a pulley to the wall so you can control it better.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I had to remove the motor/fan assembly from my system. Rather than lower it to the floor i just unbolted the fan assembly and lifted the motor and fan off. Maybe 80 lbs so with two people it was easy. Then you could I suppose lower it to the floor.

I bought a used 5hp Onidea. The seller was unable to help. Just me and my wife. I removed the motor by myself and then walked down the step ladder. It was a bear of a job that I will never again do by myself. 2 or 3 people on ladders and it should be a piece of cake.
    Mine was wall mounted so I am not sure if anything would really be different or not from the freestanding.

Van Huskey has it right. When I replaced my cyclone, I used a piece of wire instead of a rope, because it was easier to keep the motor from falling.