Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with Bosch Barrel Handle Jig Saw?

I've been leaning towards the barrel grip for reasons mentioned above. At the WW Show in "Ice Atlanta" I visited the Bosch booth and inquired about the "new" barrel grip, but they didn't have one. The guy at the booth showed me why he liked the top grip. First was using the variable speed on the top grip was a one handed operation.it takes 2 on the barrel grip. Second by using the free hand thumb to act as a guide, he made some pretty incredible cuts.

BUT when he stabbed a running blade into a 4x4 and started cutting from that point and then back out, I dropped my jaw and stood there in disbelief. So he did it again about 4 times. Standard blade.

I have one on my wish list! Not sure which grip yet, but leaning more to top now than I was before.

Barrel Grip Jigsaw

I second what Peter just wrote. I have both the Bosch and the Festool jigsaws, also. I have used a top-handle jigsaw and much prefer the barrel grip. I think some people with small hands have trouble with the barrel grip, but the only way to know is to try them both. If anybody is interested, I'd like to sell my Bosch.

The guy at the booth showed me why he liked the top grip. First was using the variable speed on the top grip was a one handed operation.it takes 2 on the barrel grip.

Not for me. I rarely use two hands...lotsa balance options with the barrel grip.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    Not for me. I rarely use two hands...lotsa balance options with the barrel grip.
    Agreed. And, I often use my other thumb to guide it, just like the guy did with the top handle.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I have two top handled Bosch's. And I love them! I got two when they were "buy one get another free" at Lowes! I keep one in one hand and the other in the other hand at the ready! Yeah man, that's the way I do it. Because I can. I don't need no stiking barrel grip! go 'head punk make my day! he...he...he. Just kidding. Bosch Jig saws rule. Everyone knows that. They invented the dern thing. Haven't you heard? All the stories you have read are true. Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty! er...innocent.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

I have the barrel grip Festool (which I understand is similar to the Bosch) and I really like the control that I get with that handle. By the way, although I usually use the saw with two hands, I find it easy to use with just one hand (and I have small hands).
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 02-03-2005 at 10:24 AM.