Thread: Walnut Bowl Blanks

Walnut Bowl Blanks

I'm looking for large walnut bowl blanks (ie. 3-4" x 10" x 10" +). I don't turn anymore, but use them for bandsaw boxes. I have not been able to find a good source for blanks this size. Any of you turners have a recommendation.

Thanks,

Ken

What would they be worth?

I have a few logs that I hope are still good.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I guess you want dry wood for bandsaw boxes?

I would say finding green wood in that size would be no problem.
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Ken,

I have a bunch of walnut slabs most of them close to 8/4 but some 12/4 and 16/4. I was saving them for table, fire place mantels, etc., but didn't get too many requests in those areas. Did get many requests for turning blanks for table legs, bowls and you, like me, was thinking of making band saw boxes.

Was considering cutting some of them up to take care of some of the later requests. I've checked with some of the wood sellers and the cost does go up significantly at 12/4 and above (not sure what price I would be charging but should be somewhat reasonable).

And I do have some thick oak and cherry slabs. If you and/or others are interested, I'll start looking into it. Have some of the slabs out back but will have to check up at the farm to see exactly what I have.

Ken, BTW, which Johnstown, PA are you from? If it is the one between Harrisburg and Reading, I'm maybe an 1 1/2 hour from you. And I do go to Reading every once in awhile.

I've included a few pictures, not too good, but give you an idea. 1st is some walnut slabs, 2nd, some cherry slabs, 3rd is of some of the slabs I have at home and the 4th one is just some of my other wood.

Oh, if others do not come up with some commercial sources, and you still want their names, I know of a few but it will take me a little time to get them together.

Regards, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Do you ever get over to New York? I have a couple large walnut logs outside if you'd want them. I'm about 10 miles south of Rt 84 at Rt 9 in Fishkill NY.
    John