Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unisaw - is this a fair deal?

Unisaw - is this a fair deal?

Hey guys,

I've been keeping an eye out on Craigslist daily for about 6 months now for a decent deal on a cabinet saw. A model 34-461 was posted today and the guy is asking $600 for it. It has a 1.5HP motor which I believe may have been the smallest offered. From what I found on owwm.org, this model looks to have been made around 1975.

Fence looks pretty plain-jane...not a Biesmeyer. It is a right tilt but I don't do much beveling of wide pieces where I would need to have the workpiece "pinched" to the right side of the blade.

He bought it as a package deal with some other Rockwell/Delta equipment. He hasn't even run it since bringing it home but the original owner fired it up for him when he bought it and he said it seemed to run smoothly and the adjustments seem tight. I have a decent mechanical inclination so I'm not scared off if I have to replace bearings or something like that. He says it has been well cared for...not used a heck of a lot but kept up enough that it hasn't just sat around and allowed to rust. It's a pretty good trek for me to go see it so I can't confirm any of this, and with gas being $4 a gallon I don't want to make the trip without the opinions of you guys that are more knowledgeable.

From searching on this forum, I get the sense that his asking price is on the high side. But my weakness is I've got the itch to get a real saw and I've seen only one other decent saw come up on CL in the last six months. I've been using a $150 B&D special from Lowes, and as hard as it may be to believe, I turn out some pretty precise work with it, having invested some time in a ZCI, a couple of crosscut sleds, and various other jigs.

Now that I'm needing to articulate exactly why I want a real saw, I think it comes down mostly to dadoing. The arbor on my current saw is limited to a 3/8" stack which is pretty restrictive, well almost useless when I want to get uniform dadoes for 3/4" stock. Too time consuming to sneak up on the fit with multiple passes. And the height adjustment has some play in it that I think is the cause of my rough dado bottoms. The blade doesn't move in the downward direction but I can see it bounce upward if the dado stack is unbalanced (scary). So even with the stack balanced, I expect it is doing the same as the blade experiences changes in resistance when going through varying grain patterns, especially in plywood.

I expect many will say the first thing I need to factor in is the cost of getting a more powerful motor and a good fence. I tend to agree on the fence but I'm not so sure about the motor assuming it's in good working order. The cheapie saw I'm using has a 2hp motor (or so it says) and I've run some 6/4 oak through it without bogging it. That's about the toughest cut I make on the table saw, and that's pretty rare. But if there's some way I can use the 1.5 horse to upgrade my Rockwell bandsaw's 3/4 horse, then I probably would upgrade the tablesaw eventually. I do bog the bandsaw down on a regular basis with resaws.

Anyway, if you've read this far, please accept my gratitude. I didn't intend to write so much when I sat down.

What do you think I should do? Try to talk him down? Wait for a better deal? Or buy it and don't look back?

I say you get to little for that price. Dadoes require a little more HP and a good fence is a must have. By the time you get a decent fence and motor your in for $1000. At that rate why not get a new Grizzly with 3 hp and a Biesse clone fence? If that's out of the question, I would still say be patient, much better deals are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I say you get to little for that price. Dadoes require a little more HP and a good fence is a must have. By the time you get a decent fence and motor your in for $1000. At that rate why not get a new Grizzly with 3 hp and a Biesse clone fence? If that's out of the question, I would still say be patient, much better deals are out there.
    I agree with this. I purchased 3phase Unisaw about 4 years ago for $400. (At a 1975 yours is not the 1.5hp bullet motor that people covet.) I was convinced buy others that the saw would be so much better than a Grizzly once I fixed it up. It cost me as much as a Grizzly when I was done with the motor, fence, etc. I ended up selling the Uni last year to get a G01023RL with a riving knife and dust shroud. I was out about $100 when all was said and done. I am much happier now. I know I am in the minority so take it for what is is worth. Sometimes old tools make sense, sometimes they don't. I don't think tablesaws do. Only you can decide.

Jason,

I had a 1 1/2 HP Unisaw for about 10 years. The 1 1/2 HP did everything I asked it to do including plenty of 3/4" dados. I NEVER thought it was underpowered. The only reason I upgraded from it to a new 3 HP Unisaw was that I got a good deal on a display model with all the bells and whistles, and a guy taking his kid around for Holloween stopped and looked at it and offered me $1000 for it. That was over 15 years ago.

This one probably has the Jet Lock fence on it. Much better than a Craftsman, and I had no complaints about it, but I do like my Unifence better. I bet the owner will take $500. If you ever decide to move up again, you can sell it for what you paid.

Rick Potter

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Johnny, looking at Grizzly's site, I see the model G1023RL is a little over $1200 shipped. It looks like an excellent value but unfortunately that stretches my budget too far. Seeing what $1200 can buy in the new market, though, makes it hard to justify half that much on a fixer-upper.

At about $850 shipped, the hybrid model G0715P is looking really tempting, especially after reading a few reviews here and at lumberjocks. The motor is only 2hp but typically I'm running dadoes 3/4" wide that are 1/4" - 5/16" deep. I mean, my cheapie saw running a stack half that wide barely even changes its tone when I'm running a piece through. Doesn't seem to bog down in the slightest. I did try to bog it by running some test pieces through really fast and I could hear the motor slow down (easy to pick out with a screamer universal motor). Rick, you're vouching that 2hp should be plenty so that relieves me of anxiety that I'd have buyer's remorse for getting it.

Seems like the main downside I've read about hybrids is the adjustment of the blade with respect to the table/miter slot. The reviews make out like it's easy for this model. At almost 400lbs, it sounds like there is plenty of cast iron to damp vibration effectively. I don't know all the differences but it seems much closer to being a cabinet saw than a contractor saw. Also, the fence looks like a Biese clone with a nice wide T and adjustment pads.

I guess I'm looking for a reason not to buy this hybrid saw. From the reviews, it seems like it exceeds everyone's expectations.
    Last edited by Jason Neal; 04-21-2011 at 3:57 AM. Reason: gets harder to think clearly at 3:00am

Why not put a wanted add on craigslist for what you really want? only you know if you want to spend the money and time to get the saw where you want it to be. The 1 1/2hp probably will have more power than the two hp your using today.

I'm with Rick Potter. I've had my 1.5HP uni for25 years, and it's done everything I've wanted. Dados have never been a problem. Ripping 8/4 maple may be a little slower than I'd like, but when I change over to a rip blade 18-20 teeth it does remarkably well. Not a problem though, because I actually prefer to rip on the bandsaw. What about blades, accessories? Condition (rust etc)? $600 could be a fair price depending.....just sayin'

Bob

I think the saw will do all you ask of it. But $600 is a bit steep. If it were in pristine condition, maaaaybe. But if you have to work on it, replace parts, or ugrade parts...no. Considering your situation, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it. That way, if you have to drop some cash into it, you'll end up at around $500-600...which is "fair". The question is (or at least this is how I figure it), if you decide this isn't the saw for you, or for some other reason, you have to sell it, can you get back out what you put in? If you end up with $1000, can you sell it for $1000 or more? I don't think so.

Of course different areas yield different "deals", I see 3 hp Unis come on the market here in the DC area for $600-1000 all the time. Sometimes they are 3 phase, but for $200 you can get a phase converter (VFD) and practically plug and play get her up and running. So, don't overlook 3 phase machines. If one comes up for a steal, just factor in a $200 upgrade.

Just for reference, though, I happened across my Uni from a divorce... 3 HP, single phase, right tilt, 52" Biesemeyer fence, and only 10 years old for $300. And to boot, he gave me a jointer, drill press, DC, and a bunch more. Deal of a century, yeah, I know. But the point is that they do come up. Not everyone is trying to sell their stuff for a profit. Occasionally, people just need to dump stuff. Keep waiting, a really nice saw will come your way for $400-500. It may not be a Uni, but a really nice Uni, Grizzly, PM, or something will...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Plenty of 1.5 HP $600.00 unisaws on CL here in SE Ma. Don't know about the newer Jet lock fences, but most of the older ones were twisted slightly. Just enough to p*** you off enough to buy a BM fence down the road.

1.5 HP is plenty for a saw for non commercial use.

If it's in good condition, and you like it, buy it.

As others have said, if you don't like it in 10 years, sell it................Rod.

Clearly a good Unisaw is worth some money, but bargains are out there. Personally, I'd offer 300 cash & bargain up to 400.

My '61 Unisaur with 1-1/2HP R-I motor is plenty powerful enough, and is at least as powerful & definately more reliable than the alleged 3HP bargain import it replaced.

The stock Delta Micro-Set fence on the 12/14 works just fine & I see no need to replace it, although I wouldn't say it is "awesome" like the Vega Micro-Adjust fence on the Unisaur.

Really can't go wrong with a good condition old Unisaw or PM66 IMO.

Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Just for reference, though, I happened across my Uni from a divorce... 3 HP, single phase, right tilt, 52" Biesemeyer fence, and only 10 years old for $300. And to boot, he gave me a jointer, drill press, DC, and a bunch more. Deal of a century, yeah, I know. But the point is that they do come up. Not everyone is trying to sell their stuff for a profit. Occasionally, people just need to dump stuff. Keep waiting, a really nice saw will come your way for $400-500. It may not be a Uni, but a really nice Uni, Grizzly, PM, or something will...
    Nice drive-by, Mike Now see, that makes me want to wait for a deal even a fraction as good as what you got. Meanwhile Bob and Rod are saying it's worth considering so I'm torn. Based on all the advice and my own notions, I'm thinking $450 is about the most I would be willing to drop on it if it is good condition, especially the fence and motor/bearings. Maybe that way I could break even if I wanted to upgrade later. I'm a younger guy (well, at 34 I feel young) but I like the old iron...really like the old Rockwell bandsaw I have in the shop. But boy, that Grizzly sure looks pretty, both in the conventional sense and specs-wise. I just don't know if I can continue to wait to scratch this itch. People just don't seem to be getting rid of used saws in my area. Maybe I'll try putting up a want to buy on CL like Michael suggested. I considered it but figured that would be a waste of time, probably because I can't imagine too many folks trolling CL looking for someone wanting to buy something they have. I figure if someone has something they want to sell and they know that CL exists, they'll just put it up since the cost is only in the time.
    Last edited by Jason Neal; 04-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Hi Jason,

If this is an unused Delta Unisaw made in America with the jet-lok fence this is a much better saw than the made chiwanese models you buy today at half of the price. The 1.5 hp motor with a sharp blade will cut your dados just fine. Mine is an early sixties model and before I found a bies for fifty bucks, I used the jet-lok for years and produced some beautiful projects.....advantage with the T-Square fence is the little pointer and the tape......I had to use a ruler and measure from the fence to the blade with the old Jet-lok. Just think, if you buy an unused 70's unisaw it is just like going back in time and your American wrenches will work too. I would buy a rusty used unisaw before I would buy some chinewese scrap metal. None of em are made in the USA anymore so the inventory is decreasing....an old brand new saw?.......yes; absolutely. 600 bucks....well it is certainly worth it but everyone likes a good deal including me so negotiate if you can, but unused? I'd go for it.

David G.....who owns 17 old woodworking machines made in the USA and shoots green bears

I'm a little like the guy Mike is describing. I'm upgrading some key tools, jointer, bandsaw. So I have to make space. These tools are pretty nigh in perfect condition.
    In terms of the power, of the TS, I'd either wait until a 3HP comes available or get the g1023. It makes a huge difference having a well powered saw. I didn't used to think so, but it does.
    Power (and capacity), is certainly one of the reasons I am upgrading.

Well...Somebody wanted that Unisaw bad enough to make a deal! I don't find any on CL in Mississippi today.

As I have intimated so many times before, "If you spend a day asking in this forum if it's a good deal, very often it's GONE that same day." You gotta just go with your gut...or else.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!