Thread: Has anyone built the mission style sewing cabinet from Rockler?

Has anyone built the mission style sewing cabinet from Rockler?

I was wondering if anyone has built the sewing cabinet from Rockler. My wife recently purchased a sewing machine that cost as much as the uni I have been lusting after. In her defence she did let me buy a DJ-20 and a 3hp delta shaper. Anyway, I am getting sick of not seeing the top of my kitchen table and this project has moved to the top of the list. I was wondering if anyone has built it, what tips they might have, and what I should estimate the cost to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few years ago I built a custom sewing cabinet for a pretty serious sewer. She'd already looked at many of the commercial cabinets on the market, and was of the opinion that they had not been designed by somebody who actually uses a sewing machine. If she looked at that Rockler photo, she would have grumbled about how little room there is on the table in front of the sewing machine and in back. The work needs to mostly sit on the table, and there's not much there. However, she would have liked that big table area to the left of the machine; there too she wanted table to support the work.

Me, I'd ask two questions. First, I'd ask why the sewing machine is in the middle of the cabinet. There's very little use for table surface to the right of the machine, so maybe the machine should be to the right of the table top. Second, I'd ask about that serger shelf. Does it just swing up out of the cabinet, with the serger sitting on it all the way? Or do you have to pull the serger out of the cabinet, sit it elsewhere, erect the shelf, and then place the serger on the shelf? Needless to say, the latter is considerably more hassle than the former. (There are swing-up shelves mechanisms. They're intended to pull food mixers up from inside kitchen base cabinets.)

The one that you have pictured there is very similar to one that my aunt used to have. She really liked it while she had it, becuase everything fit in such a small place when stored. She ended up getting more space so now she has a much bigger sewing table and separate cabinet. If space is an issue, this one fits the bill nicely.

Fifteen years ago, I built two simple bookcases, placed a solid-core door on top and SWMBO's been happy with it ever since. She has both the $$sewing machine and the Serger ($$$) and likes the room to work on the top. (And it's way too much trouble to put the machines away!)

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

3 or 4 years ago I built my wife one of these Sewing Centers. I first saw it in a WOOD magazine, years ago. Used Cherry plywood and edge banded, the lift came from Rockler along with the hardware kit.

Wife is a big time quilter. Oldest daughter also a quilter has had one on order for 2 years, the plywood is in the shop, the lift is in the box along with the hardware kit(hinges,etc.).

This center has a double top that opens up, part opens left to provide all the top work area, the machine lift is in the center(comes up even with top as shown or above about 3 inches). The right part of this top open beside the seamstress to provide the area for the surger as shown in the second picture. The serger is supposed to be stored on the shelf opening under the top.

This is a great project, everyone who sees it loves it. They are spendy to build, but there is nothing like being made commerically on the market.

Ranah's sewing machine dealer wants to see pictures of it for the store also.

Jim Sample

Forgot to add, the two doors are on piano hinges and open to support both shelves(open top).
    Jim Sample

I built one for my wife several years ago and she loves it. I used oak solids and ply. you do have to lift the serger out of the cabinet. Don't recall the total cost, but the lift alone was $99 at the time.

Larry

Silas,
    I build this cabinet for my wife about 8 years ago. Used cherry ply and cherry. She didn't want the serger so in that space I built two more drawers. In the small top drawers on the left, I put an insert (1/4" ply with pegs) for her thread. I put the whole thing on casters instead of the feet. It's easier to move. She loves the unit and I'm not sure what it finally cost. If your wife quilts, sooner or later she's going to want a table for in back of the cabinet. I built one on folding legs that my wife can set up when needed. Two more things may be requested down the road. I had to make a cutting table which is really just a large dresser at the right height so she can stand and cut material. There are three large drawers which hold most of her materials. The other thing quilters need is a "design board". I don't know what else to call it. I made an 8'x8' one for my wife. All it is is two pieces of 1/4" ply with quilt batting covering it and the whole thing is framed in cherry and attached to the wall.
    Good luck,
    Steve

Separate answers to your question...based on building a sewing cabinet for my wife.

The Rockler lift seems to be the only one generally available. It is like the lifts in the Koala brand particle board cabinets that all the sewing stores seem to sell for $1K to $2K. It works well. If she hasn't used the feature, she will love that there are two "up" positions - so the whole machine is on top of the table, and so the sewing area is level with the top of the table.

I don't like the design of the Rockler sewing center, and neither did my wife. Spend some time in sewing stores with her, looking at cabinet features, but don't twitch over the price of vinyl covered particle board. Take tranquilizers before going.

Beyond the sewing cabinet, with drawers for thread, etc., you will need storage for projects in process. I am getting ready to build a chest of drawers to match the sewing cabinet... and the sewing cabinet already has 6 drawers.

You will need normal piano hinges, etc., but you will also need the special twin pin sewing machine hinges for the top (two pairs for most plans) so that the top opens flat without a hinge sticking up to catch the fabric.

Thank you all for your input. I have seen the exorbinate prices that they charge for these things at the sewing stores for nothing more than modified Wal-mart furniture. I think I will do a modified version of the one at Rockler. I will make the table larger and set the sewing machine in the back. I think I will also put an extention table in the back with a piano hinge so that my wife can pull it back from the wall and have more room if necessary. I sure will be glad to get her sewing off the kitchen table so I can finish my jewelry boxes there.

The space under the sewing machine (where your legs go) looks kinda cramped. I don't sew but i'd think more room to swing your legs in and out would be more comfortable.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums

The Rockler lift seems to be the only one generally available.
    Lee Valley sells what is apparently the same lift for somewhat less.

Something simpler

Last Spring I walled in our porch for a sewing room. As a birthday present for the LOML I promised a sewing table. I showed her the Rockler Table and the similar but exceedingly expensive commercially available tables. None floated her boat, largely because they didn't have enough table space behind and to the left of the machine (she quilts). With a more or less dedicated room she didn't need something that would fold up.

I found some great ideas in Dream Sewing Spaces by Lynette Ranney Black. The table I built is made of two birch kitchen cabinets (24" and 12") with the bottoms cutoff to keep the table at the proper height. The table is made of 1/2" mdf and 1/2" birch ply with 3/4" hard maple edging. The table top is not attached to the cabinets and is kept in place by the edging. There is a cut out between the cabinets with a shelf that allows the sewing machine to be used level with the table. With a different insert it can be used on top of the table. Not as spiffy as the Rockler lift but a lot cheaper.

Let's try posting a picture or two:

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Finished with BLO and a couple coats of poly. Drawer pulls are from eBay
    I am working on a cutting table using the same sort of base and tabletop. It isn't fine woodworking, but I am new at this and this made my wife happy, let me use most of the tools I own and didn't cost too much. Next time maybe I will make the cabinets myself...
    Bb

Sewing Machine Cabinet

I built a sewing machine cabinet for my wife using birch ply and hard wood.
    Plan #887 from U-Build Inc. Probably ordered from someone like U-build.com.
    Used the Rockler sewing machine lift. Bottom line my wife is pleased with the cabinet and the sewing machine lift is a champ.

Talking

Silas, I built the sewing cabinet for my wife a few years ago and I was the local hero for months. Last year I built an armoir to match for her projects. Again, she loved it. I'm thinking I spent somewhere around $250 including hardware for the sewing cabinet using oak. It was a great plan to build and went together much easier than it appears it will. The plans were very well done.

Eddie