Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosia maple

Ambrosia maple

I loaned my monster system to another turner for a few days, and when he brought it back to my shop, he wanted me to do a little hollowing while he watched. I told him to pick out a chunk of wood from the stash, and I'd give it a spin. He picks up a piece of ambrosia maple that Stephen Walker was kind enough to send me a while back(Thanks!), and this is the result.

It's a little under 6 inches tall, and the collar is African blackwood with a little spiral texturing from a homemade chatter tool. It's sanded dry to 400 then wet sanded with BLO at 600... A coat of shellac then several coats of WOP to finish things up. I inserted the rough collar into the finished form while still on the lathe then turned it to completion... This thing is like a drum, so I had to have the guy hold his finger against the top of the form to keep the noise down!

After seeing JK's 'ashes' post, I think this form might have some urn application.

Comments and criticism appreciated.
    ambrosia-maple-HF-1.jpgambrosia-maple-HF-2.jpgambrosia-maple-HF-3.jpgambrosia-maple-Hf-4.jpg

It's hard form me to decide if this form makes the wood look great or if the wood makes the form look great. Whatever, it's a great departure from the standard hollowform. I like it a lot and it really shows off the wood. And I think it would make a great urn.

What a great piece David! Love the form and boy does that wood have a lot of action.

The form certainly shows of the best of the grain structure, well done.
    neil

The wooden Potter

Very cool! I almost wouldn't have known that was maple... I bet your friend was impressed, too.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Beautiful piece David! I really like the form and the wood is great!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Wow David, you must be eatin raisins and Everclear!! Good one

The wood is outstanding and works well with the form. I've got to try one with a sharp shoulder.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

David, I love the look of spalted Ambrosia maple!! I have several pieces with this color, and the BLO application just really brings it out. This is a great piece!! And, in my digging around for ideas on urns, I actually saw a few with this general shape, and I think it works perfectly. As a bonus, this shape would probably lend itself to a larger volume than a standard vase shape. One might be able to get by with less height - making the hollowing a little more doable.

Love the form! love the wood..and yes it would be a very cool urn. this is just superb

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    It's hard form me to decide if this form makes the wood look great or if the wood makes the form look great.....
    My thoughts exactly. Well done sir!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

David, great piece!! Great form, wood and really like the collar with the texture.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Real nice piece David and the finish is wonderful too. Gives me some ideas for all the AM I have except I don't have a hollowing system. Are you still loaning out yours?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Curt F said it perfectly, very nicely done! That is a beautiful piece of wood!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I like this David. The form is a little different in respect to the sharp top transition and it works well. Great color and grain on the ambrosia. Nice work.