Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English walnut???

English walnut???

My buddy cut this at his sister inlaws on Lake Michigan at the Wisconsin-Michigan border. He owns a sawmill and has planted many walnut and butternut from nuts, so I believe him when he says it's walnut. But, this wood looks just like butternut, yet it's harder and heavier than butternut. I've never seen English walnut lumber, nor have I ever heard of anyone planting any up here, so I need some input on species. The color is darkened from the walnut oil and beeswax finish. Bowl is 11.5"x4.5". Comments and critiques welcome. Now I have to go figure out what to do with the ash funnel I made today.
    DSCN0773.jpgDSCN0778.jpgDSCN0774.jpgDSCN0770.jpgDSCN0776.jpgDSCN0775.jpg
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

only word that come to my mind is WOW!!

whatever it is it sure is gorgeous, and you did a nice job in bringing out the beauty.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

The round form throws me a bit, but I can definitely see some walnut characteristics in the wood. I am not really all that familiar with English walnut, other than on a few guns I have fired over the years, but it might be. . .

Nice Bowl though. . .simple, elegant. . .I like it.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Beautiful piece!! English Walnut or Butternut either one...just plain gorgeous.

Simple bowls out of beautiful wood are always great to look at! Very well done!
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 04-22-2011 at 4:32 AM.

Can't help you with the wood ID, but I'll be happy to store this piece at my house until you figure out what it is... Take your time.

Great looking bowl.

Phil - hope someone can help you identify the wood but it sure is some pretty stuff! Very nice work on the bowl and I really like how you managed to keep the knots! Maybe Leo will come along shortly and let us all know what species the wood is!

Thanks for sharing the bowl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful bowl! From my understanding, the walnut orchards in California are English walnut stock grafted on Claro root stock. I have some walnut that was identified to me as English walnut from an orchard. It is definitely somewhat different in color than the Claro, but not nearly this color. But, on the other hand, soil conditions can make a huge difference in wood characteristics. I did find a reference to an orchard of English walnut in central Michigan, so it very well could be.

English (actually, I think it is properly called Persian, but after the English started growing it, it became English walnut) is the cultured tree that is raised mostly for nuts. An old practice was to graft it onto the black walnut strains which was the more primative tree and more hearty. That practice has pretty much died out. Some problem with a disease transferring, or the root overgrowing the graft, or some thing. Some were grafted at ground level, some up higher in the tree. English walnut that hasn't been grafted onto other stock is a rather drab tan color. Your walnut there could be English, but it isn't as chocolate colored as ours is out here. I have only had a few pieces of butternut, and it was more brown. Biggest difference I noticed is that the butternut smelled more like vinegar, and the English smelled more walnutty if that makes any sense. Lovely colors.

robo hippy

I have some kiln-dried English Walnut blanks out in the shop. I'll take some pics this afternoon and post them. Off hand, I'd guess that your bowl is not English Walnut...just because of the ingrain and spectrum of color. But I don't know really. I'll take pics and you decide.

But the bowl is just breathtaking...Very nice!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Don't know what the wood is other than GORGEOUS..and you sure turned it well..and finished it well..it shows off mom nature at her best!

Whatever it is, it doesn't lack character. Very nice bowl.

14. Man, that is some beautiful wood whatever it is. Nice one of kind wood.

To test the funnel, place dump end in mouth with head facing up. Apply beer to funnel end. Swallow as needed. Let me know if you need assistance ! Hoot!

Nifty bowl and really good wood...congrats !