Thread: sloppy DC quick connect with no new parts!

sloppy DC quick connect with no new parts!

I was looking to improve the dust collection on my Rigid belt sander (where the belt is standing on it's side). OEM dust collection is a tiny port in the table to collect your shop vac to.
    Having just upgraded to 6" duct and seeing the power that the duct size has on collector performance, there's no way I was going to use the small port. And, I had all these extra 4" fittings laying around. So, with the S&D elbow, I can still get to the back of the sander when it's parked against the wall, and quickly/easily pull that 4" hose to use on other tools in the vicinity. The 4" flexible hose has a threaded quick connect that fits perfectly inside the elbow.
    sander dc elbow.jpg

Hi Andrew. Funny this should pop up today as I was using my Rigid belt sander earlier today and saying to myself "this dust collection on here stinks!" I've been thinking of doing something very similar, since I too have a cyclone and have a free 6 foot section of 4" flex that I move where I need it. I was actually thinking of purchasing a dust hood (4x6 hood or something) from HD and place it right behind the belt itself. Surely this would be MUCH more effective than the tiny 2.5 inch port on the sander. If you do a search for Rigid dust collection on this site, you'll see what others have done also. Thanks for info/pics as I too like the idea you've come up with also
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 04-21-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarification

it still leaves dust on the table in front of the belt. I think the OEM dust collection was good for that, collecting the dust from under the belt. I think I can live with this setup, since it still leaves me with plenty of flexibility.