Thread: A different project

A different project

Last weekend, I did a project that was pretty different for me. I had asked my 5 yr old son if he wanted to build something with me in the shop. I think he was afraid of the tools, noise and the fact I yell at him when he touches anything. So, he didn't seem excited. So, I told him he could draw something and I would help him build it. He said "Yeah, but later". So, a couple months go by and he says he wants me to build him a robot. So, I tell him he has to design it for me and I'll build it. But, he will have to help some.
    Pic1 shows his design. He told me about his drawing mistakes and how he wanted the head square and the body rectangular. He also wanted the arms and legs to move.
    I knew it had to be a quick project, as the thrill would wear off. So, I threw together some scrap and proceeded to hack away. Since I really didn't think much about how it would go together, there are some pretty big hacks I wouldn't have made otherwise. But, it turned out pretty good for a couple hrs. from design to completion. Plus, I didn't really want to make it my design, I wanted him to feel like part of it.
    Nick came down to the shop every 10 minutes and helped with dimensions and approved details. He did a little sanding, but really wasn't that interested in doing the actual woodworking. The big design issue was the pointy fingers he wanted. He eventually settled for hands that looked like mittens. I could tell he was starting to get bored by that point and just wanted to get it to him asap. He had some surprisingly good ideas, so I hope to get him involved in the design and construction of his bedroom set later in the year. Hopefully, he'll have a little patience and "help" do some of the work this time.
    Pic 2 is the completed robot.
    Pic 3 is what is left of the big smile by the time I grabbed the camera. He was thrilled that I built something for him. Definitely worth using up my weekend shop time.

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay St. Peter

His smile says it all.
    Jerry todd
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Outstanding project! I wished I had a son that wanted to help in the shop, but I do have a grand daughter that wants to get started out there. I can't wait, I hope she show half the smile your son does. Great job on both accounts.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

With all that red hair I'd have thought he'd have wanted ray guns and rockets on the shoulders Just teasing, that is a great big smile for such a little face. I still feal proud when my son's, who are 30 and 28, can be in the shop together with me. The oldest who is a new father wants to build a toy box for my granddaughter. All hand cut dovetails so I'll be posting here, I'm sure when we get started. Hope I can get some smiles too.

Jim

I would like to say that the robot is the best project I have seen to date on the creek!

Let me explain, Your son designed it, you took your time to build it and put other projects (and the TV) aside for him. You are the best dad!

When folks look at this project, they may at first think, no dovetails, no super finish that took three weeks to put on and rub out, no inlay, etc..... They just missed the boat!

Here is another idea for you and your son. Get him to design some easy to make toys that he would like to play with. Make them and let him have a few weeks to give them a work out. Find out what would make them better to play with and improve the design. Then get ready for the fun part. Start in the late summer making a bunch of them. Then when December get here, you and your son can give them to churches and other groups to give away to those who would not otherwise have a good Christmas. You and your son will have more good times to talk about after you get old and he comes by to visit than you can imagine. He just might carry on the toys after you get too old to do so any longer too :-)

Take a look here for some ideas of how simple toys that make kids happy can be made.
    http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/gallery/49114

Keep up the great work!

Now I agree that is one of the best projects! Gradually work with him to get him into the shop. He will remember those times for many years to come!

7. Excellent project. I have fond memories of a similar project I made with my father, and when I say "I made" my participation level sounds about like what you experienced. Although the project didn't immediately spark my interest in wodworking, it was a key part of a long term effect. I have high hopes of doing similar things with my son once he gets a little older.

jay

Somewhere in the attic is a robot that my son and I built about twenty years ago. I forwarded my son the picture of your robot and he called to ask if we still had his robot. I replied we do and he said, " Don't get rid of it, one of these days I will have a child who will need it." I don't know if they are having children right away but his robot is safe and sound. You never appreciate how valuable the little moments and things are... You did good!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

That's pretty cool. I think it's fantastic to draw you son into the workshop (without "yelling at him" as you put it). With my boy only 14 months, so I've got a way to go before we get to this stage, but I look forward to it just the same!

John

Thanks guys. It was good fun. I was most suprised at how quickly he picked up some stuff. When I showed him the longest bolt I had to put the head and neck on, he told me to just make the neck a little shorter so it would fit. I didn't even have to make a suggestion.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Very Kewel, Jay. I bet you two can come up with a bunch of ideas to continue this budding tradition...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a great project Jay!

You have inspired me to try something similar with my 5 year old granddaughter, Isla. If we do it, and If Isla is even half as happy with her creation as Nick is with his, I will judge the project to be a success.

Very nice! Excellent story. It's neat that he saw the whole process.

You're an excellent DAD! You took the time to share w your son. He will remember.. Good work!
    Jerry

Jay,

An OUTSTANDING project and I applaud you and your son for a project very well done. Kinda gives me and idea for my 2 youngest sons!!!!

Thank you for sharing this with us.....sometimes we just need a small nudge to get us headed back in the right direction with our kids while we still have time to spend with them.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.