Thread: JDS Aircleaner- any opinions?

Question JDS Aircleaner- any opinions?

I've been researching this air cleaner. Anyone here have one? Any opinions?

I've had mine for six years. No complaints. The current version has nicer controls, too. 'Suggest the washable pre-filter for convenience if it's not currently bundled with the machine as it was with mine at the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

I've read that I can stir up all the dust in my shop with an air compressor and the jds unit will magically suck it all up. Is it that efficient or is that an exageration?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I've had mine for six years. No complaints. The current version has nicer controls, too. 'Suggest the washable pre-filter for convenience if it's not currently bundled with the machine as it was with mine at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Newton
    Jim,
    I've read that I can stir up all the dust in my shop with an air compressor and the jds unit will magically suck it all up. Is it that efficient or is that an exageration?
    I've had one about 7 or 8 years I think. I'd pretty much repeat Jim's comments verbatim. But the magic sucking is an exageration. It WILL noticably decrease the amount of dust floating around in your shop, but gravity is going to win out over sucking power. SOME of that dust is going to fall before the JDS can get it pulled out of the air.
    Use the fence Luke

Cliff,
    The JDS 750 is my next purchase for the new shop. Hopefully, I'll be able to populate the shop are of our new garage by the end of the month, and the JDS will be added to the collection.

I've heard nothing but good things about these units, and in fact, have had nothing but excellent service from these folks regarding the current JDS product that I own: the JDS mitre gauge.

Maurice

I have one and like it, but the variable speed control on mine stopped working mysteriously about a year ago and I never figured out what happened or how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to know.

Rick Peters wrote an excellent book on dust collection. He's not a big fan of ceiling air cleaners. In his view, by the time the dust gets to the air cleaner, it's probably been through your lungs already. He thinks money is better spent controlling dust at the source.

Jack

Okay, I know this is a dumb question, but would this be used instead of, or in addition to a DC? If in addition, which would you go with first?

- John

The DC is the first means of dust control...it actually stops the dust at the source. The air cleaner compliments the DC by cleaning the air of the smaller more hazerdous dust.

In my view, they should both be used. If you only had to choose one, I would go with the DC. It will yeild more benefit up front, then you can add the JDS later on.

I had one....thought it was great!

As Donnie stated, the air cleaner should be a secondary device to scrub the air in your shop.

If your intention is to provide clean air to breath, you are under a severe misapprehension about how these units work and what they will do.

Wood dust/chips MUST be collected at the source and at the time of creation to do your lungs good.

The air filter/cleaner is good for cleansing the shop air after you are done ww'ing and want a clean shop for finishing the next day or simply want to take care of settiling dust.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, et al:
    Might I add that an important piece of defense is a good dust mask (Dust Foe 88, or a good canister unit with a comfy silicon mask). It really makes a difference, and rounds out the arsenal.

Maurice

I've had mine 5/6 years, no more cloud of dust when sanding. It seems to keep the air much cleaner. I also run a dust collector and piping.

John