Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Sour Latex Paint???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Porter,TX
    Posts
    917

    Sour Latex Paint???

    Guys I have about 3gals of latex left in a 5gal plastic container which was purchase about 2yr ago.At the beginning I painted the ceilings downstairs than yr later I went to start painting the upstairs until I open up the container Dang does it stinkkkk,will the smell dissipate or should I just trash it???I hate wasting paint but I don't want to smell it from now own either.Just wondering----Carroll

  2. #2
    Yeah, that can happen if you spit in the paint when you're using it ! Just kidding, but it is bacteria growing. Try stirring an ounce of bleach into it. It should kill the bacteria, and if it doesn't curdle the paint it should be usable. Try it on a scrap piece of something to make sure though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    1,335
    Did it ever freeze?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Porter,TX
    Posts
    917
    I did not think of it freezing,we did have afew nights/days that it was @ freezing temp.Bleach,I'll give it a try,thanks guys---Carroll

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    3,696
    99.99% of all latex sold these days can go through several freeze/thaw cycles.
    In order to "hard freeze", latex paints need to get down to nearly 0*F. They usually have enough glycol content to prevent a hard freeze in temperatures that are in the 20's or so. If the material got down to 32*F, or even a couple degrees less, it would take an extended amount of time at that temperature before it got "spongy".

    Yes - latex - or even any other organic (even oil) can decompose. Latex ususally smells like,,well,,,vomit once it's soured.

    A small amount of Lysol will stop the process and be a bit safer than using bleach.
    Most latex materials will contain ammonia in one form or another.
    Ammonia is the solvent for latex.

    Mixing ammonia and bleach - even at the small amounts being used here - isn't the best idea. It forms chlorine gas.
    Even amounts as low as 3 to 6 ppm can cause irritaion of the eyes.

    A drop of vanilla extract will help mask the odor, BTW.

  6. #6
    Uh - oh, I forgot about the reaction of bleach and ammonia. Thanks for pointing that out and offering a safer alternative. My bad, and my apologies to the OP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •