Thread: Maloof Style Rocker,w/a twist

Maloof Style Rocker,w/a twist

This project was orginally started by Prashun and several others,so I followed along.Here's alittle recap how it went http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tyle&highlight=
    Guys I'm only about 1yr late due to me being slow(mental,physical)and this was the most challenging project I have ever done and planning on doing it againI have built cabinets for kitchens,EC's that were 10' tall and consist of several sections which was all machine work,very little hand/eye work.Boy,this was one heck of a deal w/lots of machine,a whole lot of hand/eye work.If you look at the rocker you might say that I fell asleep afew time cause there is several mistakes,but the daughter/grandson never notice(Ya'll keep quiet)
    Every time I thought I was done with an area,I would rotate the rocker and see more shaping was needed.The shaping along was the biggest part of building this rocker and I also laminated the rockers,headrest,spindles which added more time.I wish I would have used walnut like Prashun and others did cause walnut is gorgeous just by itself.Me being hardheaded and wanting the olympic judges to give me a 10 on the score card,I went w/contrasting woods,soft maple and Hon. mahogany that I had laying around the shop for about 10yrs.I also done a carving that I borrow from Mike Hendersons website,putting it on the inside,figure if I mess up,it would be alittle hard to see.And if you look at the headrest you will see that its alighter color,which I ran out of the 10yr stuff and had to purchase 3'more of the hon.mahogany,dang did I mess up
    Anyway guys I won't keep going on but if you ever wanted to build one,jump into it.The plans out there is very good and the CD's and books are fantastic.Damn,I'm getting old,my baby girl and my new grandson.After I'm long gone,I hope the rocker will still be around,being used by the next generation----Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carroll --

The rocker looks terrific......the finish is beautiful. Some things are worth taking the time and you finished this rocker right! Congrats for completing a monumental project.....

Sweet job on the rocker Carroll. It's a real looker.. I'm thinking it will be around for a couple of generations. Beautiful job again and congrats on getting the next family heirloom finished.

And for Carroll Courtney - a 10.
    I admired your boldness of mixed woods ever since the start and I am really glad for you that you finished. I love it, especially the seat and those little flower carving additions. Way to go.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wow...really kewel rocker!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm happy for you Carroll. I think it came out wonderfully. Don't regret yr choice of woods; it makes it different. A year after finishing mine, the only downside of the compliments I get is that I have to say it's not my own design. You really have put yr mark on this one, and I'd be proud.

I'm happy to have watched the whole progress. Wish I could sit in it!!!