Thread: laminated canoe paddles

laminated canoe paddles

What is the best waterproof glue for laminating a bent shaft canoe paddle?

Not an expert, but I'd think epoxy would be the best solution. I used West System on my kayaks, but MAS or System Three are viable alternatives. Wet out the surfaces to be joined first with epoxy only, then thicken the mix and laminate. You can thicken them with wood flour (sanding dust) or commercial fillers.

laminated canoe paddles

What kind of clamping pressure do you need for epoxy?

Tried to find a specific answer on the westsystem.com site but I can't connect-their site must be down. Epoxy doesn't require a high pressure, just enough to squeeze an equal amount out of the joints. It does take a lot of clamps per foot of lamination plus a backer board to help spread the force evenly. Here's a pic of gluing up 4 ea 1/16" thick x 2" wide x4' long ash strips for the cockpit coaming. My wife is holding the first glue up off the form. Also a pic of the completed laminations installed, sorry I don't have a close up of the coaming.

What are you paddling?

coamingglueupw.jpgLaunch3.jpgLaunch1.jpg

Wow, those are some beautiful kayaks you have there Gary. Something I have to try in my lifetime. Thanks for the great inspiration.

Thanks Tony. Was a bucket list build for me, plus we wanted lighter boats but didn't want to spend $7,000 for 2 kevlar kayaks.

Gary, I'll echo that those are two beautiful boats. Where are you in the second photo? I vacation in Mid Coast Maine, so just curious. Thanks.

Kevin

Blog Entries
    There's an episode of "how it's made" where they do the build of laminated paddles. Here you go. Hope this helps.
    http://www.canoerootsmag.com/blogs/g...e-paddles.html
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-25-2011 at 2:25 AM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks Kevin. That pic was taken near Bristol, just a few miles out of Damariscotta. If you'd like to paddle, there's a put in off Rt 130, it's not well marked but it's public. The bridge is pre Revolutionary War and is wicked cool, no mortar at all--all the stones are cut to fit. Vehicle traffic goes over it constantly. If you'd like more directons email me.

Thanks, Gary, I didn't know about that spot. I'll be back up the end of June and will check it out. We are a little further up in the Rockport area and there is a stone bridge up there just like the one in your photo that caught my eye. However, the waterway is different up there (runs faster). Is your spot tidal? Do you make your boats from "scratch" or as a "kit"?

Take care,
    Kevin

Resorcinol is the traditional boat-builder's glue, but it leaves a visible glue line (it's a dark reddish-purple). Very strong and waterproof. It works well even on oily woods, like teak.

Mikeal--my apologies, didn't intend to hijack your thresd.

Kevin,
    There is a dam just downstream of the bridge, it's all fresh water and not tidal. Nice relatively quiet place to paddle. Winds it's way into Biscay Pond which is open to motor boats. Built from plans bought from Rob Macks at Laughing Loon, they're his Georgian Bay design. I'll post some more pics and build info in the Boat Builders forum.

Gotta love the Maine photo's. Did not notice that on my original post. I live over next door to Bar Harbor in Lamoine and we are just surrounded by amazing canoe and kayaking spots. Just an awe inspiring place. This year has been a very slow start weather wise though and seems it will never warm up enough to get out on the rivers and streams. Fly Fishing is slow coming for sure.