Thread: A tidy shop is a more productive shop.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A tidy shop is a more productive shop.

Last week I posted some photos of my most recent pieces but for about the previous 2 months of free time I was in a battle with getting my shop cleaned up and better organized. I was finding that while I loved turning I loathed having to deal with the mess all the time and I could never get done as I wanted or it was just a chore to try to get anything done at all.

I share my space with my wife that is a talented silversmith that also does a bit of enamel work along with some glass casting etc. Our laundry equipment at this time is still located in the shop so I have to deal with that storage. And my other addiction as a competitive skeet shooter I have all of my re-loading equipment and supplies to deal with. At times it felt like I was trying to stuff my size 13 foot into a size 9 dress shoe and hoped that it would still be comfortable.

Other issues as all of you know is just the mess of turning. Sending curls all over the shop so I needed a way to contain as best I could so the cleanup would be less of a hassle. Wood storage also is an issue as I like to collect pieces of wood but rarely have the space for the storage. Well I added a curtained off area of 10'x10' to contain the curls. I built some quick storage shelves with scrap dimensional lumber and plywood I had. I also added 3 new 4' T12 light fixtures over the turning and sharpening area for better lighting. I already had six 8' T12 fixtures in the shop.

I took some before and after shots just to show myself the improvements that I have made. The changes have made my work much more enjoyable and I look forward to turning when I can get a chance. Still not perfect as I have to tidy up my reloading bench and cover my reloaders to keep dust out of them but still workable at this time. I still want to put in some good central dust collection and overhead air filters but overall I am happy with the results. It is not as neat as many shops I see posted but for me it is very neat.

The first two photos are of the mess. In the other photos you will see my main turning bench/sharpening station that I put together, It is covered in pegboard to keep all of my hollowing, measuring, cole jaws, and safety items off of the bench, off of the floor, or out of the tool box. One Photo of my Woodcraft slow speed grinder set up for the Tormek jigs. My tool storage cart along with my other workbench and tool storage area. Also the way the a curtained off my turning area.

Comments always welcomed.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images