Thread: Stanley 93 in chisel plane mode

Stanley 93 in chisel plane mode

A while back I finally made friends with my Stanley 93 rabbet plane. For me this was a difficult plane to get working properly. Jim Koepke's post about this plane helped a lot.

Still I've never cared for how this works in chisel plane mode. With the nose removed it is a very uncomfortable plane to hold. So I finally made a prototype of an idea I've had for sometime. I learned a few things on this one and will probably build another sometime but honestly this works pretty well.

One variation would leave the auxiliary handle flush to the side for working into corners.

stan93-c.jpgstan93-b.jpgstan93-a.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 05-01-2011 at 1:07 PM.
    RD

Blog Entries
    Great improvement.

I rarely use these for chisel planes because of the discomfort. May have to try your idea.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think the vintage Stanley 90 series planes are wonderful. I'd suggest you zen yourself into that plane instead of modifying them.

Well I tried it with the 93 but despite my Catholic upbringing I found the stigmata a bit bothersome.
    RD

Sticking that wooden handle onto a 93 is a little like soldering copper handles onto a Monstrance used at Christmas eve high mass. Like screwing Grover tuning machines onto a Stradivarius. But, if it works for you have at it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    Sticking that wooden handle onto a 93 is a little like soldering copper handles onto a Monstrance used at Christmas eve high mass. Like screwing Grover tuning machines onto a Stradivarius. But, if it works for you have at it.
    That comparison sounds a bit severe. Adding the wood does no damage to the original plane and can be easily removed.

Not quite the same as the one way trip to a very warm place earned for committing sacrilege on a religious artifact or the immediate drop in value to a piece of art.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

A similar approach to my modification to a Stanley No. 75, which turned it from an unusable plane to a usable, though mediocre, plane:

Stanley 75 with palm rest.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That comparison sounds a bit severe. Adding the wood does no damage to the original plane and can be easily removed.

Not quite the same as the one way trip to a very warm place earned for committing sacrilege on a religious artifact or the immediate drop in value to a piece of art.

jtk
    +1, Jim... Quite an understated response on your part.. <g>

Rumor has it the Pope really *is* Catholic!!
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 05-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Romor has it the Pope really *is* Catholic!!
    Heard something about one of them going to a beauty shop.

I didn't realize they were so vain.

Last time I saw someone getting beautified was when my mom took me with her to get her hair done. I think it was 1954.

jtk

Lol.................

Just kidding of course. I'm famous for my mods to tools, fishing gear, boats etc. The elaborate pulley and weight system that automatically closes the closet containing the cat food comes to mind. Gotta go....morning mass is coming on. Did Rome ever rule on the validity of mass over electronic media?

Blog Entries
    Did Rome ever rule on the validity of mass over electronic media?
    Wow, they must have made some advances since the last time I was paying attention.

Back then they were stuck on whether mass has any relationship to gravity.

jtk