Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for her back saw/dovetail saw components?

Check out TGIAG.com for steel, toothed saw plates, steel and brass backs, and a large handle template library.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Check out TGIAG.com for steel, toothed saw plates, steel and brass backs, and a large handle template library.
    +1. The folded backs aren't available yet, but I imagine it won't be long. I've never made a saw b/c I never wanted a slotted back, but as soon as these are available I'm going to try making one.

Hi Mike. I cant comment on laminated backs as I only use slotted spines with my saws.

I use the TFWW saw bolt assemblies with my own backsaw work. I don't find the 7/8" overall length an issue of concern on thicker handles. I just keep the show side flush with the surface & the nut side slightly recessed.

Providing your saw bolt shafts are 3/16" I would highly recommend the 3/16" solid carbide bits sold by http://www.blackburntools.com/new-to...ill/index.html. They are excellent for drilling through saw plate. Click on the short video's that Isaac has included to get better perspective on how best to locate the bolt holes.

You may also find that after you cut the saw plate to length (or height), it will sometimes distort the flatness. You can check this by placing the saw plate on a flat machine surface and seeing where it makes contact. Its should be seen as good practice to use flat file and joint any freshly cut edges on the saw plate, as this is considered helpful in removing any change in tension resulting after the plate is cut or score snapped to size. Again, rely on a corresponding flat surface to gauge your work in progress. You may need to take it a step further and lightly twist the saw plate to make it totally flat. . Steps taken to re-flatten the saw plate need to be done prior too fitting the hard back.

Look forward to viewing your completed backsaws.

regards; Stewie.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-19-2014 at 8:52 AM.