Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a phenolic sheet?

Is this a phenolic sheet?

I believe this is a phenolic sheet it has the same material as my saw inserts. It is a 4 ft x 6 ft sheet, the corners have a little busted out. Both sides are laminated one side is grooved to ½ inch squares. What would a person cut this with? If a few of you want a little sample to confirm this is phenolic I can put a little piece in an envelope to mail to a few of you. Just pm your mailing address. Once this is confirmed that it is phenolic I will place it in the classified section and custom cut the sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn't look like any phenolic I have ever seen!
    Google the word "phenolic". You'll find some pictures of phenolic I'm familiar with.

Tim

Looks similar to Trespa or possibly some other similar product line. Trespa is melamine cladded sheet goods. The core is wood fibers cured in resin under high pressure and temp (or something like that). Not stated as phenolic.

I have worked with a lot of glass & cotton phenolics over the years. I haven't seen any that looked like that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Judging by the way that corner is split I would guess not. Also, I can't imagine why someone would put plastic laminate on solid Phenolic. I'm guessing that is a platen from a vacuum setup and it's made from some sort of fiber board.

That is hardboard with a covering on it. Cut it any way you want.
    Here is some phenolic, and a couple things you can make with it. It can be cut anyway you want to, but can be hard on blades.
    0419010900a.jpg0419010858a.jpg0419010858.jpg0419010900.jpg
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 04-19-2011 at 9:10 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Is the white material laminated to the black core? Trespa is a thick phenolic material made in the Netherlands. They stopped using brown paper for the interior sheets about ten years ago. All interior sheets are now black, hence the black core. Wilsonart and Formica are phenolic sheets. Trespa is just a thicker sheet. Top layer is melamine treated thin paper that becomes clear once pressed. Second layer down is the colored paper with a solid color, pattern, or woodgrain print. All other layers are black (Trespa) phenolic treated paper. Put the layers in a very hot press at about 3000 psi and cook them till done.
    Try drilling the sheet with a dull steel bit. It will stink like a burned out electrical thingy if it is all phenolic. It cuts with carbide tools and smells bad. You can also rout it with carbide bits. Best tooling life is with lower RPMs and a good chip load. This keeps the cutting edge into the cooler material and the lower RPMs also keep the edge cool.
    Phenolic sheets come in many flavors. Glass filled, linen or canvas filled, paper filled (Trespa), and many thicknesses.

What I have is Trespa, but it sure doesn't seem to be made of paper.
    A small 3/8" x 24" x 48" piece weighs in at about 15 pounds. Very heavy stuff.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quite often I've seen solid phenolic laminated with formica type laminates - not at all odd.

JT

I recently Google researched Phenolics. Was surprised by the many types. When I "think" of phenolic, what comes to mind is that black "plastic" material that is very hard and brittle. You see it on router plates such as those that come with the Bosch Colt. I guess it can be different colors. I think in older times, we would have called it Bakelite. Seems the term "phenolic" refers to a class of materials. What we are most interested in is synthetic phenolic resins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolic_resin

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    I recently Google researched Phenolics. Was surprised by the many types. When I "think" of phenolic, what comes to mind is that black "plastic" material that is very hard and brittle. You see it on router plates such as those that come with the Bosch Colt. I guess it can be different colors. I think in older times, we would have called it Bakelite. Seems the term "phenolic" refers to a class of materials. What we are most interested in is synthetic phenolic resins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolic_resin

Mike
    Bakelite is different than phenolic sheet, although both are thermosetting. Trespa may not feel like it is paper, but the heat and pressure that cures it turn it into a layered solid. Try splitting a sheet (like splitting the layers of a sheet of plywood) and you will find that it splits easier then other directions. Formica and Wilsonart laminates (in fact all p-lams) show this even easier, as they are made from paper also. Both are wood products. If you take a small scrap of it and tear it like paper you will find that it has a grain direction just like wood, sorta. Wear gloves because that stuff will give "paper cut" a whole new meaning The grain is from the grain direction of the rolls of treated paper that make up the product, and this grain direction is aligned with the sanding scratches on the back of the sheet. Also the long direction of the sheets. P-lam tears easily along the grain just like wood splits. The tear is only somewhat aided by the scratch direction.

I should not have said laminated, on both sides It looks like it was sprayed on. I chip a little off in corner and it looks just as thin as a piece of office paper. And yes the groves are down to the black and they are the width of a nickel.
    I am waiting for a couple replies from manufactures to see if I send them a piece they are willing to identify what it is

Blog Entries
    That last pic makes it look like a dry erase board / melamine.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It was used as a table top at a door/window factory, I wanted the table frame at the auction so this could be just a bonus for me.The checkered squares was the top.I can not lift it without another pair of hands.

I think you have a foogayzee!