Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Purchase Norton 3X Wheels And A Oneway Balancing System Or CBN Wheels?

Should I Purchase Norton 3X Wheels And A Oneway Balancing System Or CBN Wheels?

I'm a fairly new turner with a mixture of turning tools which include Benjamin Best, Hurricane, and a Harbor Freight set. Some are high speed steel and others are anybody's guess. As my turning skill improves I'll purchase better tools but right now I need to improve my sharpening setup.

Currently, I have a Rikon 1/2 HP low rpm bench grinder with the standard wheels that came with it and the Oneway grinding jig setup along with their Vari-grind jig. My problem is that the grinder with the standard wheels vibrates and drives me crazy. I've spent and wasted a lot of time trying to smooth the grinder out following all the many suggestions like re-clocking the wheels and putting paper shims under the cheap stamped flange washers, etc, etc. I've found that most changes are temporary at best and only minimize the vibration and not eliminate it.

I really want a smoother and more consistent sharpening system so I can spend most of my time learning to turn and improving my turning skills and therefore I've decided to purchase better quality wheels and ditch the ones I have.

My dilemma simply put is should I purchase:

1. Two new Norton 3X wheels along with a Oneway Wheel Balancing system?

OR

2. Two CBN wheels and be done with it?

I've read numerous articles and threads on various internet forums and vendor websites and need some input from the experienced folks on this site that may have struggled with the same problem.

I'd like your opinions please.

Thank you

The price difference is about $100, right? No brainer -- get the CBN. Most people here think they're worth it even if you already have good wheels.

Agree with Bob. CBN is the way to go.

CBN for sure.
    USMC '97-'01

5. CBN...hands down!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Give the tools of unknown steel to another beginner and go with the CBN wheels. This thread should result in a landslide vote of approval for CBN.

Left click my name for homepage link.

CBN=buy once, stay ballanced, don't wear down, what's not good about that?

I would definitely go with the CBN if you do not anticipate the need to grind softer metals like soft steels, aluminum and brass.

To quote reed Gray, "You might get away with it a time or two, but for anything but the lightest touch ups, keep it restricted to hardened steels, not soft carbon, or non magnetic materials."

Here is a link to his very good PDF on CBN wheels that also addresses issues you may encounter with mounting on your grinder:
    http://www.robohippy.net/featured-article/

Reed (aka robo hippy) is a regular and thoughtful contributor to this forum.

I have a Norton stone on the left and a 180 grit CBN on the right but eventually I want two grinders. I still have other household type grinding I have to do.

BTW the Oneway balancing system really does work but as you may know you need a 1" arbor hole in the wheel. Also note that if you buy the flanges individually you will need to specify a left or right-hand set and you will still need the balancing fixture base.

Richard
    RD

Give the tools of unknown steel to another beginner
    Do I have to do this? Is CBN incompatiable with tools other than HSS?

Maybe, for now, consider just bolting the grinder to a solid surface and get a better feel for what you want to do?

You can probably do a lot with some mods to your current setup. I'm not made of money. Still I do wish I had bought the CBN years ago.
    RD

I originally went with the Norton and the wheel balancing system when CBN first came out because I didn't want to pay the price. Once the prices dropped a bit I went to CBN and have never regretted it. If you decide on the Norton wheels I know where you can get the balancing system cheap! ;-)

Continuing the landslide, CBN. I have the same cheap Rikon grinder running vibration-free with two CBN wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I would definitely go with the CBN if you do not anticipate the need to grind softer metals like soft steels, aluminum and brass.

I have a Norton stone on the left and a 180 grit CBN on the right but eventually I want two grinders. I still have other household type grinding I have to do.
    I vote the same way. I have a CBN plus Norton stone and a cheap dressing tool to keep it flat. The Norton stone averages about twice the usage as the CBN wheel in my shop. I use it for cleaning up the ends of screws/bolts that I have hacksawed to length and other random grinding jobs.

Use the regular grinding wheel to sharpen the cheap lathe tools of unknown origin.

Steve

Richard put the link to my article up there. It is a bit dated (meaning I could add a lot to it), but still pretty much correct. If you get one CBN wheel, get a 180 grit as it will do just about anything you need except for shaping a tool. I do use the Trend Lapping fluid on my wheel from time to time to help keep it clean. If you get 2 wheels, then a 180 and a 400 or 600 grit wheel. The 600 leaves a great burr and edge for finish cuts, but pretty delicate for heavy roughing on gouges or scrapers. I consider the 1/2 hp Rikon a bit light weight for the D Way wheels which are on steel hubs. The aluminum ones from Ken Rizza at Woodturning Wonders or some thing like that are lighter.

robo hippy

Joe, you have a PM