Thread: Need help w/spindle.

Need help w/spindle.

Recently purchased a PRS 96x48 2007-2008 model shopbot w/spindle. I was told it was a single phase 5hp. Guy had it wired direct to breaker box.

Anyway machine is up and running correctly. But can't get spindle to run. What I have is a Yaskawa v74x controller, spindle is model HSD- AT/MT 1073-140. shopbot controller is the type that looks like a computer. The only wire from the SB controller is to the spindle fan and is running it fine. No other contacts from SB controller to spindle is present. Orange cable is connected to spindle. Large black cable from vfd has 3 wires black, red and green. red and black are run to a 50 amp double pole breaker and green is run to ground.

I'm in need of some serious hand holding here. As you may can tell I can't read wiring diagrams. Pictures are better for me to understand. I feel I may be under powered, as is the reason I gave model #'s.

Shop is wired 100 Amp?.

I would like to get this going this weekend or the wife says I'm sleeping with it. She don't know but when it gets going, we'll be together, me and the SB the whole weekend.

Thanks,
    Anthony

ps: I've posted this on the SB forum as well. I'm anxious to get this going, so forgive me for posting in both.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Are you sure it is a wiring issue, or are you not sending the correct commands? I'm not familiar with ShopBot's controller so I don't know if they have a spindle run quick button. On my Fagor controller at work, I have to send a speed and M code to start the spindle, but then I can shut it off through a jog command/spindle stop button.

What is the output on the VFD? You have it set at 60Hz?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

to turn on the spindle you need to hit alt 1 and the light should come on. then hit k and hit the start button. that should start the spindle.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Found out that not all double pole breakers are the same. It's working now. Thanks for the help.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Great - get us some pictures posted up of that beast! Sounds cool!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.