Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100+ tennons

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco
    For straight, centered tenons, I go bandsaw all the way now. Cheeks first, then shoulders. I suppose it could work the other way. The nice thing is that the tenon is gauranteed to be centered because you are referencing off of the fence which isn't moved. For the shoulders I use a miter gauge with a jig on it. The operation is so fast, it is nearly ridiculous when compared to the days when I did it all on the table saw or router table, not to mention quite abit safer. Of course my bandsaw is Italian (Just ask the next Tour de France winner, Paulo - he knows who he is), and the blade of choice is a Lenox carbide. Incredibly accurate, with a finish quality that the table saw can't match. I've got pictures somewhere, but I'll have to get them on the computer first.
    Yeah, that sounds like a slick procedure..........post those pics when you can!!!

For this I would use my router with a flat bottom bit and a jig. Mount it to the end of my table and route the cheeks and bandsaw the shoulders.

Just my .02

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    One of the most efficient pieces of equipment in my shop is the horizontal router table I made in 1990 (15 years old and still going strong ) to do exactly what you are trying to do (process lots of tenons quickly and accurately). I have since made 1,000's of tenonsand mortises on this little devil. It is described on my web site called Tenons in 10 Seconds or Less
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-05-2005 at 6:43 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I have had several requests for the article which one member said is no longer available from WoodSmith. I had it in my magazine archives and scanned the article/drawings (2 pages). I can e-mail to anyone who has a high speed connection (files are full page 8½" x 11") 750K and 780K. Send me a PM with your e-mail addy.

Or I guess I could snail mail a copy for a
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-05-2005 at 6:52 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I have had several requests for the article which one member said is no longer available from WoodSmith. I had it in my magazine archives and scanned the article/drawings (2 pages). I can e-mail to anyone who has a high speed connection (files are full page 8½" x 11") 750K and 780K. Send me a PM with your e-mail addy.

Or I guess I could snail mail a copy for a
    I have had more than a dozen requests which have all been sent as of this morning. CAUTION: the mail is more than 1.5 Meg - give it time to download. The 2 files are high resolution to allow a good printed copy to be made. If for some reason you don't get yours, let me know.

I have also used my vertical router attachment for tenons in the past, and it works very well for stub tenons, but if your tenon is going to be much over 1.5" long that begins to be alot of wood under bit at once for most routers and is not practical over 2". I can make an 12" long tenon on a 4x8" beam if I so choose on my bandsaw if I so choose, almost as fast as I do a tenon for a table apron. I will try an post some pictures here and we will see if they come through.
    Attached Images Attached Images