Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Cocobolo and Curly Maple, dyed a kind of burnt orange (or, at least that was what I was after!) The lighter color in the Cocobolo is a very good match today - not sure what it will look like in a year. Other than a game call I turned for a friend, this is the first cocobolo I have turned. From what I have seen, it seems to just generally darken - perhaps toward a more reddish hue. Time will tell!

8.25" tall and just over 2.75" wide at the shoulder, the finial "was" the thinnest I have turned at .06" in the neck, until I turned the under finial at .05". It is 1.25" long measured from the very bottom. A test for the old lighted magnifier and these aging eyes!!

The walls are just over 1/16" thick. This form felt like an eggshell that had been "blown" (empty), as one could see light through the walls - evenly! Gotta love the Monster hollowing rig!!

As always, your comments, criticism, and suggestions are welcomed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (107.0 KB, 194 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (104.8 KB, 199 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (99.8 KB, 141 views)

wow... the body does look like blown glass. Very nice! I have a real love of cocobolo so this one really speaks to me.

Great job - glad to see that new Jet turning some monster pieces

Jon

Absolutely elegant John! The flow of the profile is outstanding from bottom to top, but the details of the color and grain cannot be fully appreciated in this small image.

That's really cool! Love that almost glow in the dark look! Beautiful colors working together there with really nice detail.

I was trying to get some perspective on the actual size... it is funny that picture #2 when zoomed in is exactly 8.25" on my monitor. Life size! It is so hard for me to understand the relative size when I see pics online... I finally just grabbed a ruler and this one worked out perfect.

Jon

Now that's a beauty!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

that is NICE! It almost looks like a huge piece of turned amber to me....has a mystical characteristic to it
    Last edited by John Nowack; 05-01-2011 at 7:31 PM.
    If you sit around waiting for life to happen, it never will.

John, that's a beauty. Nice change in form for you...this works well. The grain in the cocobolo is fantastic.
    Very well executed!!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Way cool John. Another sweet piece from the Keeton Kitchen.
    First class as always.

Oh my... Now that's sweet! It just screams "Keeton". The cocobolo... well how can you not love cocobolo! It's rosewood! The shape is very unique even though it has all of the "classic" elements. And it is such a "logical" next step in your design evolution. The color makes it look like it is lit from inside. And the double finial... well, I don't know how you get those so fine without breaking them! Overall, I guess you could say I like it...
    David DeCristoforo

Very cool! I love cocobolo, and the color of the form is a great match for the orange so often found in that stuff. With the figure in the body and the grain of the cocobolo, you've got a little bit of that vertical and horizontal stripe thing going which is a fashion faux pas... As the rosewood mellows over time, the striping will fade, so I think it will look even better in a year or two. Nicely done.

Very nice John, love the Cocobolo as well as the matching maple. Just completed a pen in Cocobolo, will be posting it in a few.

"The best things in life are not things."

John, Now that is a keeper. Beautiful work.
    I turn, therefore I am

SWEET, John! The only thing that would make this more perfect, is if I could be holding it The color combination is spot on, the dye color and execution is really well done with a great finish. As has been said, this form strays from what you've done, and it really works!
    Looks like you're getting pretty comfortable with the Jet, how are you liking it so far?

That is beautiful John, love the colors in the finial playing off the body, another home run! I would never have guessed it was under "3 inches across from the picture.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome