Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic PWBS-14 Band Saw Opinions

Blog Entries

Powermatic PWBS-14 Band Saw Opinions

im thinking about getting one of these band saws and if anyone has an opinion on it
    i would appreciate hearing the good and bad about it please.

I don't own one. That being said, the last I checked they were going for about $1000. I would never pay that much for a 14" CI BS with a 1.5hp motor and 6" reasw. I would go with the Grizzly 513 or 514 series, or the Rikon steel frames. I have a G0513X2 and love it. I have never heard anything bad about the PM except the price.

Hi Kevin,

I got one on sale a couple years ago. After I spent some time dialing in the setup, it runs smoothly and cuts pretty square. The quick tension release and Carter guides are nice, however if I were shopping for a 14" saw again I would look at something with more resaw capacity, probably the Laguna.

Mike

I got one a few years back with a riser block for about 850. Two negatives: The wheels initially were quite a bit non co-planar, and the fence is horrible (but most are). Other than that, its a great little saw. Very smooth, quiet, DC works great. No problems with re-sawing 11" with a 3/4" blade. If I knew how much I would use a bandsaw when I bought it, I would have saved a bit more and went with a refurbished old-arn 20"+ saw or saved a bit more for an Italian one. Overall, its a good saw and the best 14" Delta/clone I have used, but it will be upgraded once the finances allow.

Blog Entries
    i found one in mint condition for lets say ' a lot less then normal ' pricing and with a mobile base.
    but i dont care about the price, im just wanting to know if its a good saw?
    i dont think it has wheel brushes so thats a negative in my mind.

I own that saw also. It should have wheel brushes, mine does. Its a nice saw for a 14" bandsaw, I have some issues with drift when resawing, other than that its a great saw for the money.

I owned one a couple of years ago. IMHO, it's not worth the premium. I think that the Grizzly GO555X or the Rikon 10-325 are easily as good if not better than the PM for less money. If you're budget can handle it, you won't regret moving up to the bigger Grizzly's or the Laguna LT14 SUV if you can spring for it.

I've used one in a shop earlier this year. It worked pretty well and seemed like a nice saw. The lower guide bearings had gotten really dirty and frozen.

It seems like a pretty good version of the 14" cast iron band saw, with limitations common to that design.

Wheel brush can be added manually if there isn't one already on there. I didn't check on the saw I used.

Matt

last month's wood magazine tested 14" band saws. despite their premium prices, neither the jet nor the powermatic were rated top tools. excludung the laguna that was part of that same test (since it's price was 50% higher than the overpriced jet and powermatic), the rikon 10-325 was the top tool, with a grizzly as the top value. if you want to overpay for what you get, the powermatic is the saw to choose.

This might be a good one if you are in the neighborhood...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rikon-10-325-14-...item3f099e48e0

Great saw!

I have the PM 14" and I love it. I bought it about six years ago and it has run flawlessly over that time. I would buy it again.

I am also a PWBS-14 owner along with the Riser kit. Bought it in November during the specials Powermatic was running. At this point I am very happy with the purchase, it has plenty of power (I do a lot of green wood cutting for bowl blanks), and seems to be running very well.

I was nervous about the Riser kit, fortunately it seems the newer models have eliminated the issues that were reported.

I'd sell you mine if you were local and really wanted one... Bought it very cheap and looking mint. But I was never happy with resawing on it, even after countless tune ups and trying a range of different blades. I eventually ended up buying a Laguna 14SUV, which resaws beautifully. I've kept the PM because I figured I keep a thin blade on it and use if for curvy flat stuff, but I don't do a whole lot of that...

Blog Entries
    most of you are missing the point, i just want to know good points and bad points from the owners who have one. im not concerned with price.
    and for those who mentioned the grizzly 0555, i have one and its going down the road.

How much is there that you could need to know about the saw? I mean, isn't it everything about the CI 14" saws pretty obvious these days? They're all about the same except for fence, guides, QR, base, motor and fit and finish.

They are all good saws, when finely tuned, but only within the limited capabilities inherent in the design.

Any Delta or Powermatic closed base, 1-1.5hp saw in mint shape is a great deal at $3-400, even $450 considering the obscene prices they are retail these days.

At those prices or close, it's a purchase that will always yield you your money back with a quickness if you outgrow it.

There's not really any new ground to cover with 14" cast-ironed framed bandsaws, right?

JT