Thread: Upgrade BS motor?

Upgrade BS motor?

I've got an old Delta BS (see below) that slows and stops unless I go pretty darn slow when trying to resaw any hardwoods, I can do softwood if not too wide, say 4". The motor is 1/3 hp and looking at the wooden mountings probably not the original. Does anyone know if it'd be okay to go up to 3/4 or 1 hp with the same rpm? Dimension wise it'll fit so I'm just wondering if there are any other areas to be concerned about. I'm guessing I may need to go with a different length belt but that's no big deal.
    One other thing, when buying a new pulley which I'll need to do as the shaft is only 1/2", does anyone know what is meant by pitch diameter? Where is it measured, is it the outside of the pulley or where the inside of the belt would ride?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Johnson2; 02-04-2005 at 8:01 AM.

Bob,
    Are there any serial numbers visible, or maybe a model number? If so, i'd call Delta to see what was originally spec'd with that unit. From the looks of it, there was probably a larger motor on it, and Delta would be able to confirm what power you need to be looking for.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out.

Maurice

Bob, I have a rockwell/Delta that by the looks of yours there about the same age. Mine was made in 1963 and is a cabinet sytle base but everything is the same. I put a 1HP 230v motor with no problems. As for the pulley pitch diameter is a theoretical line around the pulley half way between the outside and the bottom of the groove. Pitch diameter is also use to measure threads. What it is, were the belt acually makes contact the pulley. You want a pulley with the same pitch diameter or you'll change the speed of the blade. which is measured be SFM. surface feet per minute. On mine the new motor was taller so I went with a short belt.

Hope it helps,Russ

Thanks guys, I'll look for some numbers and if found try Delta before slapping on a 1hp. Russ, thanks for the description, I had figured I needed the same dia. but didn't know what that was.

Bob

I put a 1½ hp motor on mine. Made a world of difference! I also used a slightly bigger motor pulley to increase blade speed a bit. The 'stock' pulley system - 2" motor pulley - gave about 2700 fpm. I used a 2½" pulley to get something around 3200 fpm, which was the recommended speed in a bandsaw book I'd read at about the same time I was upgrading the motor (about fifteen years ago).

I'll second Jim's vote for a 1 1/2 hp motor & a higher speed. I have a leeson 1 1/2 hp motor on my Grizzly G1019. I didn't know then about the higher speed.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I have one similar to yours, Rockwell built around 1975.

It is powered by a 1.5 HP motor (240V, 9A) for the last 5 years. The speed is 3000 sfpm.

No problem whatsoever.

I would also check/replace the bearings while you are at it. The frame looks like it would certainly handle a bigger motor, but the bearings may have seen their day.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam