Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another GCSS (guided circular saw system) contender?

Another GCSS (guided circular saw system) contender?

Check out http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_...pss3100_i.html

It looks interesting, but Mafell don't publish the price of the system on their WEB site (not even on their German web site).

It would be good to hear from anyone with more details and/or anyone who has used the system.

Hi Frank,

I haven't used this system and didn't pay too much attention to it a shows. It seems to be great but it's quite different from what we use to understand by "GCSS" because it has some kind of "built-in power feeder" (I don't know how to express it properly). While it would be nice it's too expensive for my kind of usage.
    In my German Mafell 2004 catalogue the PSS 3100 SE costs EUR 1485 (without VAT) and EUR 1722 (with 16 % VAT). The PSS 300 costs EUR 1365 (without VAT) and EUR 1583 (with 16 % VAT). I don't have an Austrian Mafell catalogue but the saws would be more expensive here due to 20 % VAT.
    Another great (and way cheaper) Mafell GCSS is the KSS 400. I hope Mafell's explanation is clear otherwise my comments that I posted on the Festool Owners Group might help.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Thanks Christian. I see that Mafell has the KSS 330 (simialr to the KSS 400) is on sale for $587.50.

Frank (& Christian),

From the 2005 Workbench Buyer's Guide, Tools & Accessories, page 78 lists the Mafell KSS 400, Crosscutting System at $884, 120v/15amps. As Christian noted, this model does look/act more like the GCSS that we are used to.

"This unique crosscutting system consists of a guide track that's connected to a circular saw. This single-unit design ensures accuracy. An adjustable fence and angle stop allows miter angles up to 60 degrees. The saw can also be detached from the guide".

They also have a Portable Table Saw that goes for $2,578, 71 lbs, but from the looks of it, only does crosscuts, i.e., no place for a fence. Even with a fence, the width looks like 18", depth 28". It does have collapsing legs, variable speed control and a combination splitter/dust hood.

From the looks of it, I wouldn't think Mafell will go over very big in the States.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

You could outfit a home shop for the price of that one portable table saw. It seems that all of their prices are like that.

Hi folks

the KSS 330 is the KSS 400’s predecessor and no longer available (here).
    As far as I know, Mafell has an excellent reputation here, especially among carpenters. The "table saw" you are talking about is certainly one of the Erikas. This saw was primarily designed for jobsite work such as laying parquet floors etc. I don't know how to explain the pull push feature of these saws so please check out this animation. It doesn't show a Mafell but a Festool pull push saw.
    Note: Festool pull push saws are NOT available in the US because they don't have the UL approval (yet).
    Mafell offers a wide range of accessories but even with the basic stuff for cross cutting and ripping. But as I mentioned it was not designed to replace a Euro-style pro table saw.

@ Jim: That's true in the US, not here, at least not if you buy top-quality items. I paid about EUR 1000 for a GCSS and a router.

Regards,

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fancher
    You could outfit a home shop for the price of that one portable table saw. It seems that all of their prices are like that.
    Jim,

I wish I coulds outfit a home shop for that amount, but we are in agreement that it would almost certainly not be money well spent in light of other options available to us.

Greg

Wow! Yeah it is pricey! I don't see the advantage over other sytems like the Eureka Smart System, but I have not used either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Wow! Yeah it is pricey! I don't see the advantage over other sytems like the Eureka Smart System, but I have not used either.
    If you're talking about the Mafell PSSs there's at least one advantage:
    It's not necessary (it's even impossible) to push the saw through the wood because this is done automatically! And the dust collection seems to be excellent too.

Christian

10. They certainly have a few circular saws with several clear advantages to most other saws available in the USA.

Full US product line: http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_fr.htm

I would not want to be locked to a guide for every cut with the KS 400. I like the KSP 40 flexible guide for certain applications, and I like the automatic feed feature of the PSS 3100 SE for automated production applications, but I think the ultimate would be to put a KSP 65F on an EZ Guide.

Things I like about that saw:
    1) 2 1/2" + depth of cut with an EZ Base on it
    2) dust collection
    3) more power!!!
    4) riving knife
    5) 0-60 deg. bevel capacity
    6) Still light enough to use with one hand
    7) the shoe on the blade side can be fully removed or used as a fence

Combine all of that with the strengths of the EZ Smart Guide system and you would have a really nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Halliburton
    They certainly have a few circular saws with several clear advantages to most other saws available in the USA.

Full US product line: http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_fr.htm

I would not want to be locked to a guide for every cut with the KS 400. I like the KSP 40 flexible guide for certain applications, and I like the automatic feed feature of the PSS 3100 SE for automated production applications, but I think the ultimate would be to put a KSP 65F on an EZ Guide.
    I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. Of course, the KSS 400 circular saw can be unlocked from the short guide rail. Then, it can be used "free-hand", in combination with a parallel fence or along with a common guide rail (AFAIK available up to a length of 6 m).

BTW, I'm told that a new Mafell guide rail system will be introduced soon.

Regards,

Christian

I have a question. What is the fasination with these types of saws? I really don't understand except in a commercial operation why anyone would want to spend that kind of money. (I used to think I was a tool junkie but I am learning I am very consertative) I built a guide for my trust DeWalt saw that works excellent and I built it out of scraps, for free.

I just line the edge up where I want to cut, clamp it down and run the saw throught the guide. Saved myself several hundred bucks and didn't even realize it.

While they are impressive I just understand spending that kind of money.
    Maybe I just don't understand the 'new' economy based on spend everything you make.

Jeff,
    I don't use any of these systems and probubly never will either. Those who do use then claim they are faster, easier to set up and more accurate then the types of guides that you and I use. I personaly am not in that much of a hurry when I do WW since for me it is a hobby not my occupation so I think the accuracy part is a mute point since I take my time and insure my setup is correct.

I'd rather spend my $$$$ buying material to cut....

Thanks, Frank. Just as I thought I had found the last Festool 65 system...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    I have a question. What is the fasination with these types of saws?...
    Jeff

I can't speak for others but I make my living with tools and a tool that costs £250 has paid for itself when it has saved me about 8 hours. My Festool and guide system did that in the first week I owned it. The next 8 hours is money in my pocket. It does what it is meant to do quickly and repeatably. For me the major feature is the fact that at the end of the cut the blade is safely tucked away in the body of the saw. The fact that the guide system is as accurate as it is with so little effort is just a bonus.