Thread: Can't figure this out...

Can't figure this out...

I was checking the blade for vertical squareness on my Unisaw and found that on one side it's perfectly square but the other side isn't. When I raise the blade to it's highest position, place a fixxed-blade tri square on the left side (throat plate removed), it's square. But when I place it on the right side it's out of square at the bottom by .015. I'm checking from the same spot on the blade, just opposite sides and not on a tooth. Can't, for the life of me, figure out why this is.

Thanks for any help or suggestions as to why this is happening?

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Did you try turning the blade? Maybe the blade is a little warped. I'd at least try that as a first step to rule it out. Usually when I run into to something like this, it's almost always my fault. I'm pushing too hard here, or I didn't hold something firmly enough there, or something like that. I think there's only three possibilities:

1) blade is screwy
    2) top is warped
    3) you're not measuring correctly

edit: you'd also get a result like this if you happened to have a hollow ground blade. I have a couple of custom made blades that have no set in the tooth, but are hollow ground on the body of the blade instead. You don't happen to be running one of those, are you?
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 05-06-2011 at 8:41 AM.

Another possibility might be that your square isn't actually square, or perhaps doesn't have a long enough base to span the throat plate cutout.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Another possibility might be that your square isn't actually square, or perhaps doesn't have a long enough base to span the throat plate cutout.
    Most likely on both counts.............Rod.

I had the same type problem, when I used a small square things were just fine but then I use a longer one had it would not be square on the left side of the blade. Now if you squared the blade up with the left side then the right side would be off.

What my problem was, was the extension was off, it was high on the very outside edge. That is when I got a Lee Valley straight edge and now everything is like it should be.

Joe, have you checked across your table saw top with a straight edge, to see if it's truly flat? You'd get the results you're getting if the top is a little uneven.

Blog Entries
    I found on my TS that there was at least one high spot close to the throat plate opening. Put a good straight edge across the throat opening at the point you were checking the blade and insure your table top is truly flat.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I just went out and checked the things you mentioned and found out my old, trusty 6" Stanley try square is not square at all. I just assumed that since it was a fixxed blade, it was square and would never change. Boy, was I wrong. Checked it against my 12" Starret. Yep, you guessed it, .015 out. Problem solved....will only use the 6" for a straight-edge from now on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."