Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Underhill

Roy Underhill

I know this question will sound stupid, but does anybody know where Roy Underhill gets his suspenders or who manufactures them?

George probably knows.

I have no idea. He gave the master craftsmen a pair of suspenders years ago. I don't know where mine are.

Maybe Mork and Mindy's surplus has an extra pair that you could dye the rainbow out of.

Jim Koepke has a pair of the Morks so he could probably tell you where to get those. Haha, sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.

I missed the whole roy underhill thing. I guess a lot of what I know was brought to the public by him, but I only saw one show and that was with Brian Boggs as a guest. I wish I had PBS, but I'm just out of reach with my antena.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Maybe Mork and Mindy's surplus has an extra pair that you could dye the rainbow out of.

Jason,

I don't know what brand but I looked at his website and a photo of him. Those "type" of suspenders are quite popular here among loggers and hunters. I had a pair when I was younger and doing some serious elk hunting and skiing.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-10-2011 at 6:45 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Send him an email. I'll bet he answers you.

Blog Entries
    Jim Koepke has a pair of the Morks so he could probably tell you where to get those. Haha, sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.
    I get my suspenders at a couple of places in town, Woods Logging and Cowlitz River Rigging.

My suspenders have clips. The ones Roy Underhill wears look to be attached with buttons. I have thought of button types, but then you have to attach buttons to all the pants.

Most men's clothing stores carry suspenders. Some places call them braces.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post

I missed the whole roy underhill thing. I guess a lot of what I know was brought to the public by him, but I only saw one show and that was with Brian Boggs as a guest. I wish I had PBS, but I'm just out of reach with my antena.
    John,
    You can view old episodes going back over several seasons at this PBS website under "watch episodes online" at the top of the Woodwright's Shop on PBS's website.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/

These are close but not exact. The front snaps are different. The source may have something more like
    Roy's, but I didn't spend a lot of time in their e-catalog.

http://www.suspenders.com/logger_red.htm

I hit 40 and suddenly one of my pair of jeans sprouted suspenders. I suspect the trend will continue.

They are the bee's knees. For those that want to modify the jeans they already have to hang from the shoulders, you can change any pants to button-suspender pants with these:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...cessor=content

Lots of good suspenders on that site.

(My slippery slope has started with a pair of Carharts from Farm and Fleet, complete with suspender buttons, and the Duluth trading company button suspenders.)

Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    John - Do you know that you can view most of the recent few years of the woodwright's shop on the web? The only episodes that don't appear are the current season's, during the season, as many PBS affiliates have an irritating habit of pre-empting his shows to fill in the time with fundraisers and shows featuring new-age hocum. Most of the affiliates will pick up where they left off, but not all.

Don't know about Roy Underhill's brand, but Welch Suspenders are made in Oregon, are very good with several styles, made for working, and available at beltoutlet.com.