Thread: Which wood joints?

Which wood joints?

My wife and I are going to install a gas log set with a corner surround in our family room. The surround will probably be of red oak. Problem is we can't decide on which type of joint to use! We would like to make cabinet quailty joints, as the surround will stand about 56 inches tall and come 32 to 36 inches into a 12X28 foot room..quite a noticable "feature" in that size room. We've read about dovetail and dado joints and still can't choose! What would you experienced wood joiners use? Any suggestions and/or cautions are appreciated.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-05-2005 at 7:06 AM. Reason: corrected thread title spelling

Joe,
    Joint selection depends upon design. Can you give a more detailed idea of what it is that you and your wife have in mind? Perhpas a reference photo of wmething you have seen elsewhere? Or a sketch?
    Alan

I used dowels to join the Red Oak I used in the fireplace surround seen on the front page of my website. Mine was flat without corners. I made a dado in back (three actually) for the cables needed to hook up the LCD TV.

If I had a corner to deal with I would have used a tongue and groove joint there (invisible from front). I suppose you could use dovetails.

What kind of joints have you made already in past projects? Dovetails are not the easiest joint to make. I have not mastered them yet, or tried

Joe if we could see your approach and where the joints are needed, we could give better answers. Otherwise, we are guessing. Thanks.
    Jerry