Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm really starting to hate TAPCONS!

I would use pins for concrete floor screws are work good on block and brick with the idea you will UNscrew them
    Pins and glue for sleepers
    I love my TE-5, drills thru concrete like butter
    Carpe Lignum

I have had similar problems with TAPCONs, but have found a method has worked very well for me. I drill the hole as normal, then when inserting the screw, I always run the screw in half way, then back it out completely, blow out the dust and then drive it all the way home. I usually us the same screw for goin half way everytime, then use a new screw for the final drive each time. That way it looks nicer and I am less likely to waste screws. This method proves to work over 90% of the time, there are always a few that take an extra step.

I hope you skipped the soap. It will have little effect on concrete and just add a corrosive to the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ryan View Post
    I hope you skipped the soap. It will have little effect on concrete and just add a corrosive to the hole.
    I did skip the soap because the Hilti and impact driver worked so well. Thanks for the input- I didn't know Irish Spring could be corrosive. Maybe I should use it on the athlete's feet

Bob

+1 on the Ramset. I've discovered that anything permanent doesn't require a removable fastener and why spend a couple of minutes on each fastener when I can drive ten nails in that time. None the less, my tool of choice for Tapcons has turned out to be a ratchet, which explains why I avoid them.

6. If you're using tapcons, use the tapcon-specified drill-bit size.

Be sure to drill at least a half-inch deeper than you think you need -- an inch more is even better.

Be sure to use some compressed air (or a child's ear syringe) to get the concrete dust out of the hole.

Then drive the tapcons. I've had very few problems.

After cleaning hole with drill a few times (in and out ) spray WD40 in hole then put in tapcon.ke a charm!!!

I would not bother to screw the wood down. Even if gravity fails for a few seconds I would not think the floor would be damaged. Wood and concrete expand at different rates with temperature and humidity changes. so most wood floors float on top of concrete.
    that said my Hilti, SDS+ medium size hammer drill is rated for 18" per minute with a 1/2" bit in concrete. It is that fast vertical down. slower when I am lying on my back and have no leverage for a horizontal hole. In that situation it is more like 8" per minute. Downside is if the bit grabs it can easily break your arm if you try to stop the drill motor from spinning.
    Bill

This thread is from 2011... I'm sure the OP has been done with the work for some time now!

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Spray inside drilled hole after cleaning with drill a few times with WD40. tapcon will slide in and hold.

Bob, I have had the same bad experience with tapcon's. I now use something called a "dryvin-peg". It is 31/2 x1/4 and it has 2 bulges or tapered shoulders near the end. Just drill a 1/4 inch hole and hammer it in. I've never had a problem getting one in and have not had one come loose or break. I don't think they come any longer than 31/2 however.

Blog Entries
    I have had similar issues with Tapcons. I use only the stainless steel variety and they are better but I still snap more than what I feel is acceptable. I am predrilling and have used an impact driver, an sds+ driver, and even a socket wrench with the same results.

This is a 6 year old thread, just sayin'
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For your application, I would definitely NOT use tapcons. I don't hate them, I plan to use some putting kitchen cabinets against a brick wall, but I use them only when necessary. For putting down walls or subfloor on a slab, I would use a percussion nailer. Cheap ones you hit with a hammer are only about $30. 22 blank charges and nails are less than tapcons. They work virtually every time and take a lot less time to put down. You have to figure out what size charge to use (aim high) but then you should finish quickly.

I put a wood floor in my shop, used tapcons to screw the sleepers down, but only used 3 in each sleeper, one on each end, one in center, put the styrofoam down, 4' row at a time, laid 4' of flooring, then added another row of styrofoam and 4 more feet of flooring. Did have a little trouble with tapcons, but not bad. As reported, helps to blow out the holes. Secret is, you do not need your sleepers fastened down every 16".