Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Mortises

My First Mortises

I am in the process of building an outfeed table for my TS. I'm using some materials I have on hand for this - including some old 4x4 yellow pine for the legs. One day, I plan to build a work bench, so I thought I'd get some practice with M&T joinery using hand tools. I'm curious, how long does it take you seasoned Neanders to chop a 3/4" wide x 3 1/2" long, by 2 1/2" deep mortise in a softwood like yellow pine? I'm enjoying the process, but am somewhat discouraged by progress. I'm planning 2x6 stretchers at the top and bottom, running between all of the posts.

I have some decent chisels that are nice and sharp. I'm using a 1/2" mortise chisel, and bench chisels of various sizes for cleaning up the corners and ends.

At this rate, it seems like it will take me a month to chop 16 mortises for what I thought was a simple projet.

I'm not really an experienced neander by any stretch. But despite looking simple M&T joins take a lot of practice to become proficient in. At least in my case I learned the dovetails much faster than m&t. I was stumped for the longest time at getting the mortises perfectly vertical, as even slight variations would get exaggerated at the other end of the stretcher. Like most other hand tool techniques it's a process and you need to build some muscle memory through practice to get the thing down and improve speed. Have you seen some of the videos available online? these videos use techniques which will over time increase your speed.
    Personally I think that after some experimentation you need to find a process which you feel comfortable with, and just stick to it. Practicing the same technique builds proficiency over time. Me I just enjoy any shop time I can get, so I never really think about the time it takes me to build anything. The wife gave up on me being productive long time ago
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 05-08-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

If you have a drill press you might try drilling out the majority of the waste between the mortise lines, makes the job go much faster, or if you can drill straight you can try doing it with a handheld drill. The other thing to consider, what are you using as a base to to lay the wood on while you chop the mortises? It's possible that whatever you have the wood placed on while you chop may be absorbing a great deal of the force from the mallet. Main thing is, don't get discouraged, every project, every joint is a learning experience.

When I built my Roubo workbench and worked on the mortises (including big wide ones around 2" wide), I didn't have full-width mortise chisels. That makes it a lot more time-consuming, because not only are you having to make multiple passes down the length of the mortise for depth, now you have to make multiple passes for width, and the width wanders. That then takes more time-consuming cleanup.

For big mortises like that, I get the bulk of the work done in a quarter of the total time. The remaining three quarters is fine-tuning and fitting. Each of these mortises ended up taking me nearly an hour. The last few were quicker, showing that it's partly just a matter of putting the time in for practice. But it's the fine detail work that always takes the time.

Just visualize the day when you'll be able to slip the tenon into the mortise with a little hand pressure first try before any final cleanup. You'll get there. I watched Peter Follansbee do exactly that on Saturday (though with a more normal-width mortise). But he's been doing that for nearly 20 years, so he's done it a few more times than I have. Experience counts!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Like John Tallyn, I drill out big mortises first, then clean up with the chisel. If you want to stay neander, use a brace and bit. A well sharpened hand bit will cut pretty quickly.

Or use a drill press or cordless drill by hand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think Roy Underhill said it best. When someone asks whether you should drill out your mortises or simply chop them out with a chisel, the correct answer is "yes". That's because it depends on the size of the mortise. Small ones can be quickly chopped out, and drilling does not help you much. But large mortises for timber framing or workbenches require so much stock removal that it is a very good idea to bore first. A brace and bit work well if you want to do it all by hand. You can watch Roy on various episodes of Woodwright's shop, many episodes of which are available on line. The gate episode of this season should show the process for large mortises.

I may be late on a reply (not like you were waiting for ME to reply or anything), but first thing is that yellow pine really isn't all that soft. I mean, yes it is relatively soft, but its not like a soft cedar where you can practically make a mortise with hand pressure.

Like most things, I've found that my body position changes everything. I like to chop standing at the end of the bench with my body in line with the length of the mortise. I also prefer to chisel towards myself and will do as much as I can this way. I also hold the chisel as close to the edge as I can for control...I am interested in the Narex chisels because they look light and make hold the bottom of the chisel easier...my current mortise chisels are heavy as heck and I have to devote too much effort to holding them upright...at least until the mortise is deep enough.

Sometimes drilling is better, sometimes chopping it out is better. Although I've done deeper mortises, as a rule 2.5" is a deep mortise for me, so I don't know which way is better, but I do suggest checking your work with a chincy little depth gauge. It may not be NASA perfect, but it at least provides something of a square that you can get inside the narrow mortise, and that'll let you know if the walls are right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I'm curious, how long does it take you seasoned Neanders to chop a 3/4" wide x 3 1/2" long, by 2 1/2" deep mortise in a softwood like yellow pine? I'm enjoying the process, but am somewhat discouraged by progress. I'm planning 2x6 stretchers at the top and bottom, running between all of the posts.

I have some decent chisels that are nice and sharp. I'm using a 1/2" mortise chisel, and bench chisels of various sizes for cleaning up the corners and ends.

At this rate, it seems like it will take me a month to chop 16 mortises for what I thought was a simple projet.
    Last edited by john brenton; 05-10-2011 at 1:46 PM.

I think the two methods require different attention. If you drill and pare, you must pay a lot of attention to the lines, two of which I never even draw that well. If you chop, you pay attention to your tool. Since I prefer a tool centric process, I don't drill. Plus, when I've tried the drilling approach my results have been like trimming a bush (for me), a stub. And another plus, it didn't save me any time.

Pam

I'm still on the fence about whether drilling is a time saver or not. I just finally really put a nice honed edge on my lock mortise chisel too, so I have to give that a go. I had a mediocre edge on it and never bothered to really dial it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    I think the two methods require different attention. If you drill and pare, you must pay a lot of attention to the lines, two of which I never even draw that well. If you chop, you pay attention to your tool. Since I prefer a tool centric process, I don't drill. Plus, when I've tried the drilling approach my results have been like trimming a bush (for me), a stub. And another plus, it didn't save me any time.

Pam

I'm still on the fence about whether drilling is a time saver or not. Its kind of like that other route to work...I can't tell if its faster because every time I take it there's a jam or I get stuck behind a senior citizen or some yuppie dope readin a book, eating a breakfast sandwich and yapping on the cell phone. With mortising, every time I try to see which one is faster I make a mistake, or the wood is funky.

I just finally really put a nice honed edge on my lock mortise chisel too, so I have to give that a go and see if its really worth having. I had a mediocre edge on it and never bothered to really dial it in.

Pam

Thanks for all of the replies and comments on technique and approach. I'm somewhat curious as to what my expectations should be. I know my milage may very, but Steve noted that his mortises took about an hour each. Is that in the ball park? If so, I think I'm in the parking lot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    ...I just finally really put a nice honed edge on my lock mortise chisel too, so I have to give that a go and see if its really worth having. I had a mediocre edge on it and never bothered to really dial it in.
    Yes, it's a good idea to not pry, so I use the Japanese shoji tools to clean out the mortise; however, when I'm in the groove and following the bevel, there's little to clean out.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies and comments on technique and approach. I'm somewhat curious as to what my expectations should be. I know my milage may very, but Steve noted that his mortises took about an hour each. Is that in the ball park? If so, I think I'm in the parking lot!!!
    If they're wide, deep, and long, I suppose it could take an hour per; but once you get the hang of it, things go much more quickly. I recommend studying Jeff Gorman's site, for many issues, but especially on mortising where he displays the results of two or three types of chiseling. Brilliant stuff.

Pam

If they're wide, deep, and long, I suppose it could take an hour per; but once you get the hang of it, things go much more quickly.
    Yes, and I would further mention that the bulk of the waste comes out in the first 15 minutes, but it's so rough that it leaves a lot of cleanup and fiddly fitting work. As your skill improves in leaving it better from the first stage, the remainder will rapidly improve. You might only reduce the rough part to 10 minutes, but you can probably improve the cleanup to 5 minutes. I'm not there yet!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    I also hold the chisel as close to the edge as I can for control...I am interested in the Narex chisels because they look light and make hold the bottom of the chisel easier...
    If you pick one up, careful with those Narex. The back edges on mine are sharp, that trapezoidal shape meets quite crisply. I was chiseling that way with them, holding the blade for more control, and then wondering where the blood was coming from. Gave myself a series of nice paper-cut like slices on all most of my finger pads! I was going to dub them, but I've found they work quite well for scraping the sides of the mortise as you rock the mortise. Now I just wear a glove if I feel the need to hold by the blade.