Thread: New DIY sublimation coating

New DIY sublimation coating

I ran across this and thought I would share it with the forum. There are some people using this product and claim good success with it. For us engravers and woodworkers, where we can't always use a stock coated product, this could provide a solution. I have purchased some of the clear and some adhesion promoter. I'll post some results when I get it. It costs about $25 a can, but says it will cover about 20 sq ft. One guy said he had coated about 50 just regular ceramic tiles he got from Lowes. He paid like .25 for the tiles, so that puts him at about .75 to $1.00 ea, I think they are about 3 times that from suppliers. You spray this stuff on, let it dry for 10 minutes, then stick it in your oven at like 320 f for 20 minutes. Anyway..here is the link. This is in the UK but I got mine from Transfer Supplies in Utah. http://digicoat.com/
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I have thought about buying this myself, but we haven't had time to experiment with it anyway. Please do let us know how it goes! And I'm wondering if you'll use a separate oven from what you use to cook. I wonder if using an unglazed tumbled stone tile would work better, and it would be more forgiving since it's "supposed" to look old world style. I'm looking forward to hearing about your tests!
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Amy,
    The guy I was communicating with said that the people he talked with said that if you were not doing a huge amount of it, it would be OK to do it in your kitchen oven. I suspect a convection oven would be in order in the long run. I need to get one to do mugs with wraps on them.
    I don't know about the tiles, I have some what is referred to a bisque tiles that are unglazed. I bought them to do laser transfer on and never got around to it. I am going to try them out with this stuff and see what happens. I'll post something when I get the stuff and see what I get.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation