View Poll Results: What percentage of your family's income is derived from your woodworking activities?

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

195 65.22%
  • 5% or less

45 15.05%
  • 5% to 10%

15 5.02%
  • 10% to 25%

9 3.01%
  • 25% to 50%

7 2.34%
  • 50% to 75%

8 2.68%
  • >75% but not all

7 2.34%
  • 100%

13 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Make Money At Woodworking?

Poll: Make Money At Woodworking?

I think it would be interesting to see how many of us manage to make money with our woodworking addictions.
    Last edited by Tom LaRussa; 02-05-2005 at 11:23 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Today, none. Someday, maybe a little, but I don't want to destroy the enjoyment I get from what is essentially my "mental health" activity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My answer wasn't a choice, about -1%. I figure my income reflects a loss in 1% due to the tool and stuff purchases.
    Jim

Since my retirement a year ago, I've been busy going slowly in debt building and equiping a new shop. Hopfully that will turn around to someday breaking even when I finally start making some sawdust.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

I have no savings, but the bills are paid and I get new tools now and then....

Everything in my shop is paid for. Since 9-11....I've had to make plans for retirement since most of my retirement was shot after that date. I really don't want to work and say.....Hi, welcome to Wal-Mart.......I'd rather be saying......so what kind of finish do you want on those bookcases!!!!!

I make a few bucks each year in my shop. Just not enough to reflect anything in my checking account.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

This is a difficult question since a fair portion of my income is earned as an Architect...clients appreciate my skill as a crafstman.Very often I make wood architectural models in the shop of projects like custom homes. Knowing how things are built and actually being able to build them is an advantage in securing new work. I have built a few special pieces for clients over the years, I haven't done that for a while. All the stuff I make now is for the home or studio....an occasional gift.., maybe. I have designed many custom pieces for the resturants and have had to make a few myself...there were no takers. It is difficult to draw lines and seperate...about a year ago Ryan and I put our woodworking to use remodeling some apartments I own. I am a very low margin businessman...everything is paid for with a few minor exceptions... It is not taking advantage of all the tax benefits I am often told....no mortgage , no car loans, no equipment loans, ....it is a great way to have a restful sleep though! Still I am an insomniac as many here know...there is always the next idea, project, sketch, email ...I have a lust for living and the mornings are a great place to begin...before the phone and the ubiquatous callings of the day erode all sence of quiet...so conducive to creativity and thought.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-06-2005 at 9:16 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Today, none. Someday, maybe a little, but I don't want to destroy the enjoyment I get from what is essentially my "mental health" activity.
    Agreed.

Sometimes around Christmas the fun factor decreases trying to get stuff done.
    But, I would like to come up with something I could make at my leisure and sell to at least help offset tool costs

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Everything in my shop is paid for. Since 9-11....I've had to make plans for retirement since most of my retirement was shot after that date. I really don't want to work and say.....Hi, welcome to Wal-Mart.......I'd rather be saying......so what kind of finish do you want on those bookcases!!!!!

I make a few bucks each year in my shop. Just not enough to reflect anything in my checking account.
    Well said Dennis. With your attention to detail you should have no trouble building businees for your shop...heck if I can do it ANYONE can!

I make no money at woodworking, but I have built a lot of stuff for the house that we would not otherwise have. Someday I would like to start selling peices to pay for some expensive tools.

I voted none

but ...

What with the expense of building my shop last year and of equiping this year, the percentage is negative. My objective is to get up to the break-even point in 2006. Who knows, the percent might even get into positive territory after that.

As a precentage it is low, there are times when I have a few projects that come in that can boost any one month. I try and keep a small steady stream of work out there to be had.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I retired last May. Since then I have had a commissioned job in the shop all the time. Since the end of May I have done 2 lingerie chests, 2 coffee tables, a toy box, a wine rack and some misc. small stuff. Just hope this will last. My biggest problem is that I work slowly, and my shop only has room for one project at a time.

Starting this week I have to take a break, the wife has got a new large screen TV and it won't fit the old cabinet, so I have to build her a new TV cabinet before I can take on anything else.

So far I am really enjoying being retire and spending every day in the shop woodworking.

Bob

None -- maybe a little someday...

...for now, everything is MINE! I don't owe anybody for anything! I probably spent as much on tools last year as I earned in wages. I'm now retired and loving every minute of it! LOML is keeping me busy with her furniture projects and maybe I can sneak in a little time for projects that might earn me a penny or two along the way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I've only started selling items the last year or two and made just enough to buy some new tools which was my initial goal. I've just started selling some items through a few gift shops but I'm taking the "go it slow" approach as I still have my full-time day job and family life to balance so I don't want to be consumed by having to be in the shop every night not making things for myself. I am gaining the "priceless" experience of operating this as a small-scale business and dealing with the middle-man, shipping, taxes, etc.

If anything, it's a lot easier getting the spouse's approval to purchase a new tool when the hobby/business can support itself.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA