Thread: Veneer on MDF

Veneer on MDF

Hi Guys;
    I need some practical advice.
    The traditional method of veneering a panel dictates veneering both sides to avoid warping. Does this also apply if veneering to MDF panels, say 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick?
    What glue is preferred for veneering MDF?
    Thanks
    George

George,

I would think it would be very important to veneer both sides of mdf to prevent the panel from bowing. Glue-wise I use a 2 part veneer adhesive called Unibond 800, but I think you can probably get acceptable results from typical woodworking glue like titebond. Most recommend avoiding contact cement, though.

Good luck!

Keith

Veneer both sides........

I use cold press veneer glue - comes pre-mixed and no respiratory protection is required. If you're willing to deal with mixing and a respirator, Unibond is your best bet.

Veneer Glue

Thanks Guys-
    Dave, what is cold press veneer glue- product name? Thanks
    George

Titebond Cold Press for Veneer..... Rockler carries it, as does Woodcraft (I think). I've also used the glue from joewoodworker.com - it works well but is more difficult to apply than Titebond.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery
    Titebond Cold Press for Veneer..... Rockler carries it, as does Woodcraft (I think). I've also used the glue from joewoodworker.com - it works well but is more difficult to apply than Titebond.
    Same here, Titebond cold press, pretty easy to use. I've never used MDF as a substrate, but I would think the same rule applies to doing both sides, the glue's going to shink as it cures and pull on the panel.

Suggest you only apply the glue to the substrate and, tape the veneer down as soon as you apply it, then get it pressed fairly fast. First time I tried the stuff, I applied it to my unbacked veneer, being used to doing plastic laminates with CA. The veneer immediately curled up and broke an end joint.

Are you using backed veneer? If so, CA is probably OK, but I don't like it much, at least not solvent-based. If unbacked, it's liable to bleed through. Another option is to apply PVA to veneer and substrate, let them both dry, then iron on. I'm probably oversimplifying, there used to be detailed instructions on walnutwoods.net.

If a panel is 3/4" thick, and if rest of the furniture will help hold the panel flat, then I don't find that it is necessary to veneer both sides. However, for thin panels without external support -- for instance doors -- I do veneer both sides.

If you're veneering both sides, it is good to apply both pieces of veneer in one pressing operation. If you apply the veneer in two steps, the first may warp the panel before you can apply the second.

For simple veneering -- that is, not bent lamination, and not giant pieces where assembly time is nice -- I use simple PVA -- Elmers Carpenter, or Titebond.