Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My newest resin piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Yep...I think stunning is a good expression for this. I too think this looks like another world and it's oceans. The blue is a great contrast to the brown in the manzanita.
    Personal preferences here, but if not using a finial, I'm wondering if the opening would have benefited from a little 'softening'? Just a thought, really nice how it is. Keep em coming...really love this work you do with the resins.
    Tim, I played with some different lid ideas for this one but all detracted from the piece. However I am kind of funny I like hard lines blended with smooth curves. When I see pieces like that It kind of grabs my attention and is something that is kind of like playing with different textures or contrast in my mind.

Again thanks for the kind words.

Alan

Another great piece Alan. I too would love to see one of these in person.

Cheers. No jeers! This one looks like an elongated globe of an earth-like planet.
    David DeCristoforo

Great use of resin. Absolutely stunning result, it almost seems as though the piece is lit from the inside.

I used quite a bit of resin for pens and always loved the blue tint and silver/white mica swirl. Looks great with the burl but holowing to 1/8 had to take nerves of steel.

Everything about this is gorgeous Alan. It's hard to add something new to the previous comments, a very well done and stunning turning it is. Thanks for posting, Cheers!

I love these pieces you do, Alan! Gorgeous stuff!!!

I love the inland seas, the islands, and the lakes.....not to mention the oceanic currents. I love this piece.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

alan would you share your methods?
    am sure im not the only one dying to know how it is done

Just stunning. I can't improve on what everyone else have said. I love it. Thanks for showing us.

Steve

Stunning Alan!

One of my all time favorites!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Yes, thank you for sharing. This is one of those pieces where, if I had turned it, I would stop turning because I would think it would never get any better.

Alan, I really REALLY like it. I have admired your wood/resin pieces for quite some time, and this is definitely one of my favorites. I really like how the wood in this piece is very meandering, almost fractally, in contrast to the resin. Excellent work!

Hutch

Love it! Way Cool

Amazing, I really love this piece--something I haven't seen before. I would love to see more information about how this was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    This by far is my largest cast piece to date. I just finished it Saturday. It started out as a 15lb. Mazanita burl and then I added 168oz. of tinted resin.

Overall I am pretty happy with the result. I like the proportions and this is probably my favorite color combination in resin. Generally I pick resin colors based on the colors of the wood and this has some similar coloration's to my native mesquite. this is my favorite combo with the mesquite so I figured I would try it with the Manzanita.

It is about 12 1/2" tall and over 8" in diameter so it is a pretty good size piece. It is a bit over 1/8" thick but I tapered the bottom 3 1/2" to a bit over 3/16" for weight at the bottom as a request by a gallery that I show at.

As always open to cheers or jeers.

Thanks for looking

Alan Attachment 194789Attachment 194790

Alan,

That is spectacular. Very nicely done.

Alan, cheers!!! I love your resin and wood forms.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.