Thread: Engraving Leather & Cleaning?

Question Engraving Leather & Cleaning?

I read some of the archieve topics in the forum but I am still wondering about working with leather.

What is the best way to clean the engraving without staining the leather? I have some white and green leather and it gets really dingy. Transfer tape doesn't work that well. I was reading about using an air blower but this doesn't take care of the smell. Are there any leather products on the market for cleaning?

Thanks for the help!
    Daniel Markovich
    Etchd Unlimited

designer/owner

"Epilog EXT 50 Watt"

I do a lot of leather coasters and I use Mr. Leather. It takes the grime off and gives them a nice shine. It also helps a bit with the smell. Found it at Bed Bath and Beyond. You might be able to fine it or something like it at most dry cleaners or Big box grocery or project stores.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Thanks Mike! I will have to check it out. I wasn't sure if that would mess with the engraving. Sweet!
    Daniel Markovich
    Etchd Unlimited

designer/owner

"Epilog EXT 50 Watt"

The smell is part of the charm, like branding day at the ranch!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

There's no solution for the smell - that's what's going to happen when you burn flesh.

For clean up, I've used a quick hit of saddle soap, rubbing alcohol and even simple green. Leathers will vary depending on the cow, tanning, color etc. Find one that works for you.

I'll have to check out this Mr. Leather...sounds promising.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Well, I wouldn't say there is no solution for the smell since the smell goes away over time. Simply letting it sit a day or two with good air circulation makes a huge difference. I've wondered whether hitting it with a spritz of Febreeze or similar would help but haven't tried that yet.

-Glen

I cutting/engraving leather every day and use fabreeze to take out the smell. It works for me. One thing to consider for engraving is that you need to go the fastest speed with the lowest power that you can and usually you will not get soot. I also use air assist when engraving leather.

Regards
    Khalid
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

What settings are you using with your current laser? I tried some leather, and yes I did get a lot of soot and boy did it smell.

Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

I use 500mm/sec and 25% power at 600DPI.
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

I have a spray can of stuff that I acquired more than 20 years ago (it obviously lasts a while) called 'The Tannery'.. I's main purpose was to clean, seal, and waterproof womans leather boots. After spraying, and when it drys, It does not change the colour of the leather.. I would imagine any good quality shoe leather spray would do the same thing. I doubt if the stuff I have is even sold anymore... Check out your local shoe store, and see if the stuff they sell will darken the leather or subtly change the colour.. I doubt if it will, or they may get a lot of angry customers..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it