View Poll Results: Router lift or not no router lift

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I use a lift

132 58.67%
  • No lift for me

93 41.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many use a router lift vs directly mounting to a table?

Blog Entries

How many use a router lift vs directly mounting to a table?

While enjoying a cigar and drinks with some of my fellow woodworkers, the comment was made that very few people use lifts. I disagreed. So now I ask you guys, to lift or not to lift, that is the question.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Jointec digital lift in my barn.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    I imagine that statement was made by someone who does not use a lift . . . or perhaps someone who does who wants to feel special(). I too disagree; PRLs with 5625's here. Many above average tools are in the hands of home enthusiasts now. I must admit that like electric side mirrors on a car, if I'd never had one I would never have known how convenient it can be.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-17-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I rarely used a hand-held, I do almost everything with my router table outfitted w/ a lift.

For years I used a PC890 directly attached to my table, and adjusted the depth with the depth adjuster on the fixed base. Worked well and wasn't too hard to do. One of the lift companies had a special and I was able to get a lift for a low price so I use that now. It's a bit more convenient.

But if I hadn't been able to get a lift at a low price, I'd still be using the fixed base and I'd still be happy with it.

For a beginning woodworker on a budget, I'd not recommend the purchase of a lift. You can do very well with the fixed base in a table and spend your money on other things that will give you a better bang for the buck. When you get caught up, then buy a router lift.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I too used an 890 in the table until I got a lift on sale.

I have a Triton with above-table bit changes and height adjustment, so no lift for me. I can't see any advantage to a lift, when compared to modern routers offering above-the-table adjustment built-in.

For several years I used a PC7518 under a table, I didn't need to spend all that money. Used a PRL at a friends shop, and that was it. Bought me a PRL with a set of the inserts, best money I spent in quite a while.
    Mike Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Anderson View Post
    I too used an 890 in the table until I got a lift on sale.
    +3

I got a smoking deal on a Rousseau lift and quit using the built-in depth adjustment.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

PC7518 in a Jessem with a Jointech fence. Wouldn't trade the set up for anything else.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I have a Porter Cable 7518 mounted to a JessEm Rout-R-Lift.

That said, if I was buying today, I'd probably go with something like the big Triton with above-table use designed in. I think many people who say they prefer "no lift" are talking about a modern router with above-table adjustments, not a fixed router just mounted under the table.

Porter Cable 7518 mounted in an Incra lift with the complete Incr fence set up and the Incra table. Wouldn't trade it for anything else

I started out with a small Bosch table and a 1617 without above table adjustment. I then got the newer Bosch base with the above table adjustment and that was much much better but you still had to lock and unlock the base under the table. This was not bad but it was still somewhat of a pain to make fine adjustments with. It was also not very accurate when doing the adjustments, move the router a little, lock it down, unlock it and move it some more and on and on.

I then got a lift and there is just no comparing. The lift is so much smoother to use, it is much easier to get a very accurate adjustment on.

When you look at a good lift next to a base on a router it is very hard to not see how much better a lift is then the base.

I don't think it is one of those things you just have to have as a hobby woodworker but then a cabinet table saw is not either. It is one of those things that once you get it its hard to think of working without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I have a Triton with above-table bit changes and height adjustment, so no lift for me. I can't see any advantage to a lift, when compared to modern routers offering above-the-table adjustment built-in.
    When I voted, I considered that a lift... I use a Freud with above the table locks and adjustments. Of course, I still have my Hitachi Router mounted in a table saw wing. I use that for round overs and other simple edge treatments.

PC 7518 in the PRL with the Sidewinder Crank. With the crank it is incredibly accurate to up plunge a dado or through groove into a piece if needed. Either count the turns or set a digital indicator. I am still finding applications for this.