Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How they do that?

Darn Dave I've got to agree with Mark! That is one very good sketch of a design. In other words "one picture is worth a thousand words.

Now I have a question? Is that design sketched up using "Sketch Up" or is it some other program.

Oh and by the way, I think the chair is neat too.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    If they aren't using dovetails for the acute angles perhaps they are doing something like this. William quoted that there are nuts and bolts used in the joints.

We can't see the seat face in the picture William posted. Perhaps there is a row of bungs across the front edge of the seat.
    Dave, I've seen an original. (Not to sit in! This was in a museum exhibition, and I couldn't get within four feet of the thing.) It didn't have bungs. The brass hardware was clearly visible.

Jamie

Wow, I'm learning alot on this thread. There are so many ways to skin a cat, but understanding the way the joint is stressed really allow the discussion to take off on the various options available.

As it turns out, there is a book devoted to the building of Rietveld furntiure. Who knew?! It's at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=3GWJE4JKQQ34W written by one of Rietveld's fellow countryman. I guess we are not the only ones fascinated by these pieces.

William,

Thank you! This is a very thought provoking thread, It is such a simple for it serves as a model for similar joinery in other pieces of furniture. It is not the typical construction and can lead to other designs...tables ,benches etc.
    So many pieces always use the same joinery , it is refreshing to share your interest in the Rietveld furniture. I studied the deStijl in school and later in depth on my own...this period of early 20 th Century European Architecture and Design is one of my favorite areas...it was so influencial to all new architecture all the way through the present. Even Frank Lloyd Wrights "red square" is from the DeStijl. I love the simplicity and purity of such pieces...a small pad (which many people have built in ) and you can comfortably enjoy a significant page of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Lai
    Wow, I'm learning alot on this thread. There are so many ways to skin a cat, but understanding the way the joint is stressed really allow the discussion to take off on the various options available.

As it turns out, there is a book devoted to the building of Rietveld furntiure. Who knew?! It's at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=3GWJE4JKQQ34W written by one of Rietveld's fellow countryman. I guess we are not the only ones fascinated by these pieces.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-08-2005 at 1:24 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks for the nice comments on the drawing. Yes, it is SketchUp. I just did a fast drawing so it's not great but it illustrates the idea.

Jamie, you say you could see the brass hardware. What did you see? A bolt head recessed in a counterbore? Could you see both ends of the fastener? Was it simply a brass disk flush with the surface of the wood?

It is entirely possible that the fastener is a custom made something or other.

I like this kind of discussion.

Thanks for the nice comments on the drawing. Yes, it is SketchUp. I just did a fast drawing so it's not great but it illustrates the idea.

Jamie, you say you could see the brass hardware. What did you see? A bolt head recessed in a counterbore? Could you see both ends of the fastener? Was it simply a brass disk flush with the surface of the wood?

It is entirely possible that the fastener is a custom made something or other.

I like this kind of discussion.
    As I recall, the fasteners looked entirely ordinary -- brass machine screws and nuts. Overall, my impression was that the piece seemed like it was built in a garage by somebody who didn't know much about woodworking. That is, the design has big faults--- very high stresses on joints, and it doesn't look comfortable at all -- and the construction isn't very good --- hardware-store fasteners, and cheap lumber. I found this surprising, considering that it has become such an icon of modern design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    As I recall, the fasteners looked entirely ordinary -- brass machine screws and nuts. Overall, my impression was that the piece seemed like it was built in a garage by somebody who didn't know much about woodworking. That is, the design has big faults--- very high stresses on joints, and it doesn't look comfortable at all -- and the construction isn't very good --- hardware-store fasteners, and cheap lumber. I found this surprising, considering that it has become such an icon of modern design.
    Jamie/ Looks can be deceiving. In a recent auction in London, it brought 5736 GBP for an original. It may look a little rough for a masterpiece, but Rietveld was one one of the first modernists to see/execute a chair as a abstract object equal to the abstract quality of his buildings, a significant event in the history of architecture.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=583 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=mus-tdNav3 vAlign=top align=left width=383><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=383 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mus-tdNav3 vAlign=top width="95%">Designed 1934, executed 1942 by G.A. van den Groenikan, mahogany, brass screws.

291⁄4in. (74.5cm.) height; 28in. (71cm.) width; 15in. (38cm.) depth
    Provenance: Nico Jesse, Ameiden

</TD><TD class=mus-tdNav3 width="5%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=mus-tdNav3 vAlign=top align=left width=200>estimated value:5000-7000 GBP

reached price: 5736 GBP
    sale date: 10.08.2003

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Last edited by Corvin Alstot; 06-17-2006 at 4:20 PM.

Corvin, thank you for posting that picture. That reveals a fair amount of information.

I've made stuff that easily looks as rough as that chair. How come nobody will give me 5736GBP or even $57.36USD for mine?

interesting thread...thanks
    oh Magoo, you've done it again

I've made stuff that easily looks as rough as that chair. How come nobody will give me 5736GBP or even $57.36USD for mine?
    Dave / Your pieces are not 60 years old yet! Give it time, and let your heirs know to hang on to your work.

Corvin

zig zag chair

I found this chair while resesrching my new domino. I wanted to see what I could make with it.
    Then I found this thread while researching how to use sketchup. follow this thread to see domino in action. I was impressed.
    http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/...WCM_zigzag.pdf

12. "Z" Chair

I saw the plans for a similiar designed chair in Wood Magazine, I think in 2007 somewhere. The joint was not a dovetail and used regular glue.
    I was concerned about the weight limits but I don't remember seeing it in the article. I would seem to think the joint would have some really tight tolerances. Check out Wood Magazine for more details.

David Dundas has made a few chairs that are similar, at least the basic "Z" shape. He uses a spline to reinforce the joint.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=chair
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Just to bring this full circle...

Just to bring the last three messages full circle, the Festool PDF at

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Domino_WCM_zigzag.pdf

Just to bring this full circle...

Just to bring the last three messages full circle, the Festool PDF on making the Z chair is the article from Woodcraft magazine, and David Dundas posted a few bits about the chair over at the FOG separately from the article. I have a Domino and have seen several versions of the picture of the three guys standing on the chair, and I'm still not sure I'd trust it...