Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got me a lathe!

Congrats on the lathe... And on selling the boat. I've always heard that if it flies or floats, rent don't buy. You're gonna love that lathe.

Congrats on the lathe! The 3520A I picked up on CL last year was the best tool purchase I have ever made. I have a couple strongholds and sn2's. I like them both.
    As far as too many boats go.... that's like chucks and jaws. Two kayaks, two canoes, three boats with motors, and one rowboat. It just depends on where you are and what you want to do.

Pete,

Congrads on your lathe setup. Sounds like things came together for you nicely. I would recommend the Stronghold all the way regarding chucks.

Vince
    1-877-284-8969
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-20-2011 at 7:40 AM.
    VincesWoodNWonders

Welcome Pete and congratulations on the Powermatic deal, can't go wrong there. This is an incredible place to learn with some of the best people around. "Be Safe"

I turned on a 3520A for 8 years before getting my Robust. Great lathe. The first models of the 3520 were made in the USA. When it got to be the 3520A, they were made over seas. The first ones had a cast iron pressure plate under the headstock, and had a different banjo that was heavier than the one you have. Do check to see if it has a cast pressure plate, and if it does replace it, as mine cracked when coring some Black locust. One advantage that the A has over the B is that the slow speed goes down to almost 0 rpm before turning off. I love those slow speeds for sanding my warped bowls.

As to chucks, I have all Vicmark, and love them. After 30 years in concrete construction, I prefer things to be overbuilt, and Vicmark meets that requirement. I haven't used the Oneway, but a lot of people love them.

robo hippy

Congrats, you'll love the lathe...

I was looking at that very lathe for my GF whose up in Foat Wuth.... She's moving into a bigger place and I was going to surprise her with a house warming toy.

I could never get the guy to send me better pics of it. I got scared when he was advertising it as a 3520B and I could not see the speed readout....

I'm glad it all worked out for you... I just love the lathe time..

If you need advise... join the local turners club... the North TX Woodturners club in Ft. Worth is fabulous and offers free lessons to members.

Joe...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scarfo View Post
    ....for my GF whose up in Foat Wuth....
    Foat Wuth.....Too funny
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nice first lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Congrats on the lathe... And on selling the boat. I've always heard that if it flies or floats, rent don't buy. You're gonna love that lathe.
    I always heard that with 3 'F's
    Last edited by phil harold; 05-20-2011 at 2:01 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

Congrats on the lathe and having tools to work with. As far as a chuck I have a Talon Oneway which I love. I also have a SN2 which is good but I'm not fond of the stock jaws that come with it. I like some jaws with a bite and will soon invest in a different set.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    ...I always heard that with 3 'F's
    Me too, but TOS for the site prevent the listing of the other F.

Nothing but awesome... congrats and i am sure you are one happy turner with that beast.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant