Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Walnut Purchase Advice Wanted

Offer $300 AND air-dry it properly (stickered and covered) for another year. You will likely have some nice walnut then.

As Mr. Haney said on Green Acres, "...and that's my Final Offer!"
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    On the West Coast for FAS 10" & wider I pay a little north of $10/BF.
    I get KD FAS Walnut for $5/bf in Atlanta
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 05-23-2011 at 8:00 PM.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Being new to woodworking, buying rough lumber seems to be a bit of a gamble. I have decided to wait until the weekend and call the seller back and see if he has decided to lower his price at all. Judging from everyone's feedback, the current condition of the lumber doesn't seem to be a deal breaker, but the waste ratios on it may be high enough to require considerable caution. I think I will offer up to $300 or possibly $350 assuming waste will be up to 60% from warping, checking and mold. I think that would be a pretty fair price for both of us. I'm not really to excited about this deal any longer since I found a guy that is selling what he says is select 4/4 air dried for $3/bd ft. I will keep everyone posted and include a picture if the deal goes through. I decided that if I buy it and it turns out to be unsuitable for furniture I could probably make a pretty cool workbench out of it.

[QUOTE=Craig Wahl;1709851][FONT=Tahoma]
    I'm not really to excited about this deal any longer since I found a guy that is
    selling what he says is select 4/4 air dried for $3/bd ft.
    Well, looks like you got my best price beat...