Thread: Lie Nielsen Hand Tool Event, May 20-21 in Manchester, CT

Lie Nielsen Hand Tool Event, May 20-21 in Manchester, CT

Lie Nielsen's having a hand tool event on Friday and Saturday at my local Woodcraft (where I also happen to work a couple of hours a week). If you happen to stop by on Friday between 2 and 7, I'll be there. Look me up and say hi

Went to the event this morning/afternoon and briefly saw John. Pleasure to meet you John.

Watched Peter Follansbee do some panel carving in green (wet) quartersawn white oak. Follansbee was very approachable, pleasant, and patient as he answered my many questions. Nice fellow, extremely informative, and well worth the trip by itself. I got the last copy of his new DVD, and look forward to watching it.

Watched Michael Pekovich from Fine Woodworking demonstrate how he sharpens a scraper -- he uses a piece of wood sawn almost all the way through to act as a guide when filing and honing the edge. He puts the scraper in the kerf and tightens that up on the bench. Keeps it nice and solid, and it acts as a reference so he doesn't roll the edge over when filing and honing. Also a very pleasant fellow.

There was also a fellow named Mickey from (I believe) the Connecticut School of Woodworking, doing a ball and claw-foot demonstration, who was likewise very informative and kindly answered my many questions. He said he was going to have a class there in a month. I'm not a ball-and-claw foot kind of guy, but from what I've seen, everyone does theirs a little differently, and it was interesting to see him demonstrate the tools he used at different steps.

Deneb Puchalski (sp?) from Lie Nielsen was there, demonstrating how to use hand planes. Not for nothing but he must have the patience of Job.

The LN tools--saws, chisels, planes--were all up for people to use (and buy--they have a register there), and there were sharpening demonstrations as well. A good way to spend a few hours, familiarize yourself with some tools you may not have, or have questions about, and compare notes. I believe it's open till 6 today, and tomorrow as well.

It was a pleasure to meet you. I ended up leaving a little early. My allergies were really acting up today. I finally just threw in the towel and left.

Jonathon,

Good summary. The fellow demonstrating the ball and claw foot is Mickey Callahan.

Regards,
    Jim