Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative Table Saw Router Table Extension Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    If you aren't locked unto that right angle configuration, you could go with the Incra Joinery solution and have the super accuracy and repeatability for the saw and router.

Attachment 195418

One drawback is that you loose the table saw setup when you set the router setup and vice versa. Of course all the fine adjustments make it pretty quick and easy to restore settings...
    Hey Jerome! As much as I would love to have a fence system like that one due to its accuracy and repeatability as you stated, it's just not in my budget. Also, this system, I believe, would present the same issue I'm having right now with an independent TS and RT fence system - basically using one or the other, but not both at the same time. Not sure if there is a good way around that except for having a separate RT from the table. Although the pic that Alan posted a bit earlier seems like a viable solution to use both applications at the same time, but still requires me to use the "short end" of the extension table for infeed and outfeed for the RT. Thanks for the input Jerome - hopefully I'll have a decision sometime soon on which direction to go. Either way I look at it, there are pros and cons, which is fine and to be exptected as long as it doesn't make me second guess myself in whatever plan I implement

2. Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dutkiewicz View Post
    Interesting setup Alan! I believe I may be able to incorporate some of these ideas of your to my plan also. Looks like the PRL VII lift you're using, correct? That is the one I'm wanting to get also. I've read alot of great reviews on it. I also like how you installed the wye into your RT as the second RT port. Is that a 4" flex hose to the top of your RT fence? So, even though you are using the "short" end of your extension table for the infeed and outfeed, you don't have any problems? I just thought doing it that way would cause substantial leaning over the table for the outfeed side. (???) Thanks for the input and pics!
    Yes it's the prl v2 I'm using and I love it. I was able to get it with the aluminum inserts. As for dust collection I'm using 4" flex connected to the fence and I also have a 4" port to the underside. I studied a lot of other router table designs and I think i solved the problem a lot of them had with not getting all of the dust from the underside.

I raised the height of my table saw/router table by an inch to make it more comfortable for me to use as I'm 6'-3" tall. For me it just seems natural to use the router table in this way. If you think about it it's no different than ripping a piece of wood on a table saw as far as reach is concerned.

I'm in the left extension camp. This way stock is fed same direction as for saw. You can edge profile a piece and then saw off profile without having to reset saw fence. This becomes very important when making a bunch of molding. Tap a couple holes in the saw top for attaching fence for router table.

Here's what I did. I can route with the direction of the table saw for shorter pieces or the other direction for longer ones. With an incra fence I can also do dovetails, box joint...IMG_1313.jpgIMG_1317.jpgIMG_1315.jpg.IMG_1314.jpg
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy....
    Just thinking out loud....

I don't know your set-up regarding things around your saw table, but perhaps you could make the "router table" sit on the extension table at an angle. The below-table stuff (any dust collection box, for instance) would be normally oriented with one side parallel to a miter slot. The above-table fence and dust collection assembly could be clamped down diagonally so you fed from back right to front left.

Depending on what's behind you in your shop, the angle you can use may allow you to slide the saw fence to the extreme left, and have room to outfeed onto your existing flip-up extension table (to the right of the parked saw fence). If you're in the 'smaller cut' phase of a project, there would probably still be room to simply slide the saw fence into position for cuts without taking down off the router fence assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Randy....
    Just thinking out loud....

I don't know your set-up regarding things around your saw table, but perhaps you could make the "router table" sit on the extension table at an angle. The below-table stuff (any dust collection box, for instance) would be normally oriented with one side parallel to a miter slot. The above-table fence and dust collection assembly could be clamped down diagonally so you fed from back right to front left.

Depending on what's behind you in your shop, the angle you can use may allow you to slide the saw fence to the extreme left, and have room to outfeed onto your existing flip-up extension table (to the right of the parked saw fence). If you're in the 'smaller cut' phase of a project, there would probably still be room to simply slide the saw fence into position for cuts without taking down off the router fence assembly.
    Hey Joe! Question: Are you a mind-reader? Last night, I was sitting out in my shop (which I do often actually) and staring at my TS regarding this whole RT planning process. I thought to myself "Hmmm...what IF I set this up at an angle - say 45 degrees or so, thus giving me maximum length for stock and still be able to provide good infeed/outfeed support into my rear extension table. Also, wouldn't require me to remove the TS fence." Also, I could devise some T-track at both the rear TS rail and at the far right end of the ext. table, so when I'm not using the RT and fence, I just slide it to the extreme right hand side, therefore still giving me maximum TS fence capacity (@50"). Great minds think alike apparently Joe This is definitely a possibility. Thanks for validating my same thought process!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen View Post
    Here's what I did. I can route with the direction of the table saw for shorter pieces or the other direction for longer ones. With an incra fence I can also do dovetails, box joint...IMG_1313.jpgIMG_1317.jpgIMG_1315.jpg.IMG_1314.jpg
    Mike
    Mike,

BINGO! I think you nailed it! Your setup is the one I'm going with. Provides multiple setup possibilities, doesn't interfere with the fence (with prior planning as to which direction the RT fence will be installed), versatility, etc. The only change I will look into making (if even possible) is intersecting the long T-track and the short (front) T-track, so I can have maximum capacity for a sled. If not, that is okay and don't think it'd be an issue since your design (again) provides alot of versatility given the cut requirement.
    A couple questions:
    1. is that just regular laminate you used on the top?
    2. what is that you used for the sides? Looks like maple.
    3. How do you secure the end board for the incra fence to your table?
    4. and lastly, how did you "color-match" the holes in the laminate at the end of your short tracks to blend in with the table?
    Thanks for the photos Mike
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 05-23-2011 at 7:00 PM. Reason: additional comments

Everyone,

I just want to give a big THANK YOU to eveyone who contributed to this thread! I am going to incorporate the design Mike Nguyen did on his TS, however will surely incorporate some other ideas that many have posted throughout this thread. Alot of great collaboration/ideas and would be a shame to not adequately address all resonses. This is what makes this site so GREAT! Knowledeable people who are always looking to improve an already enjoyable hobby Now all I have to do is save up the money to purchase the lift I'm wanting, get another router motor, and go from there. Once I complete it (not sure when but hopefully in the not too distant future), I'll be sure to share with everyone the final product...with pics of course Thanks all!!

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 05-23-2011 at 7:01 PM.

Hi Randy,

Which lift are you considering. I currently have the new Jessem Mast-R-Lift II on my dedicated router table with a PC 7518. On the table saw I have the Incra plate with the big Triton. I also have a Bench Dog Pro plate. I found that Incra magna ring insert is the best because it's so easy to pop the insert in and out. I don't know why but I always have to remove the ring insert to change bit all the time and that's why I have multiple router set up. I am thinking about replacing the left side of the table saw and put the extra bench dog proplate with a Ridgid router that I have sitting collecting dust. If I buy another lift, it will be an Incra Mast-R-Lift II. Why? Because of the convenience of the ring insert and the Mast-R-Left II will work with most routers without the adapter for different size of routers.

About the sled, I found that it's easier for me to use the fence than to use the miter slot.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen View Post
    Hi Randy,

Which lift are you considering. I currently have the new Jessem Mast-R-Lift II on my dedicated router table with a PC 7518. On the table saw I have the Incra plate with the big Triton. I also have a Bench Dog Pro plate. I found that Incra magna ring insert is the best because it's so easy to pop the insert in and out. I don't know why but I always have to remove the ring insert to change bit all the time and that's why I have multiple router set up. I am thinking about replacing the left side of the table saw and put the extra bench dog proplate with a Ridgid router that I have sitting collecting dust. If I buy another lift, it will be an Incra Mast-R-Lift II. Why? Because of the convenience of the ring insert and the Mast-R-Left II will work with most routers without the adapter for different size of routers.

About the sled, I found that it's easier for me to use the fence than to use the miter slot.

Mike
    Mike,

I currently have a shaper and use the sled for when using that. But I thought the sled could also be used on the RT for coping end grain or for stile/rail applications (mostly thinner stock). I'm really looking at the PRL v2 lift. Incra and Woodpecker joined teams and incorporated the best of both worlds (according to reviews). Whereas, a quality Woodpecker lift with the Incra magna ring inserts. But then again, the PRL v2 appears to be a really great lift either with the magna inserts OR with the rings. Most applications I do just use the fence though. Also, I would probably utilize the T-tracks more for lock knobs for featherboards and such.
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 05-23-2011 at 7:39 PM.

[QUOTE=Alan Bienlein;1708038]I studied a lot of other router table designs and I think i solved the problem a lot of them had with not getting all of the dust from the underside. QUOTE]

Alan,
    Could you clarify regarding how you solved the problem of getting all the dust from beneath or maybe post a couple of pics showing your setup? Thanks.

Randy,

I tried for over two hours the other night to get you a pic of my setup, I even got a couple test pics up, but I could not get new ones to go. If you send me an e-mail, I might be able to reply with a pic.?

Mine is a lot like Mike's, but a lot simpler. I have a couple router tables, and a shaper, and only use this for quick roundovers, or edge treatments. Took some great pics of it.....honest. This is my curse...computer illiterate, and why I never get a 'YOU SUCK' when I find a deal. One of these days.....

Rick P

Rick,

No problem bud! Just sent you an email