Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you got any projects going at present ?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    I have 3 kids that will all be juniors in college this fall. (twins plus one kid that took 2 years off to travel) I am trying to remember where the lathe is!
    Robert,

With all that going on it is amazing you can do anything but work 24 hrs a day to pay for the college expense.........maybe you can find some time before long and get lost in the vortex, if only for a couple of hours...... My son just graduated with his second degree.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I took my 15 year old daughter driving on the streets for the first time last weekend, late evening so there was little traffic. She did really well. No white knuckles, no foot prints on the floor from me trying to hit the breaks.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Robert,

With all that going on it is amazing you can do anything but work 24 hrs a day to pay for the college expense.........maybe you can find some time before long and get lost in the vortex, if only for a couple of hours...... My son just graduated with his second degree.

Did not mentioned the first kid graduated with a Master's degree this month. Fully retired after 29 years of cop work and still working 45 hours a week........ That is one reason I mostly do segmented work. 15-30 minutes every couple of days and in month or two you have a vase!
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 05-22-2011 at 1:38 PM.

Just got accepted at a new gallery yesterday and working on getting pieces ready for their June 4th Festival. I have 24 vase bodies that need appendages and just finished two today....I'll post in a few hours.

Nice thread Roger!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Working on my first hollow form with a collar and finial. HF is done need tighten up the collar without ruining the whole piece....fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    Working on my first hollow form with a collar and finial. HF is done need tighten up the collar without ruining the whole piece....fingers crossed.
    Want me to do it for ya Nate? Heck, I can ruin the piece in a couple minutes for ya. THAT...I'm good at!
    ~john

7. Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    That will be a step up.........I think when a turner gets to the place they can do a good job on a HF with a collar and finial, then it does something for their confidence..........hope it goes well Nate!

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Just got accepted at a new gallery yesterday and working on getting pieces ready for their June 4th Festival. I have 24 vase bodies that need appendages and just finished two today....I'll post in a few hours.

Nice thread Roger!
    Another gallery John? Geez............you are on a roll, my friend! I have not yet attempted getting "juried" or even trying to sell anything..........but I have been thinking about it...........we have a local gallery that I can submit 10 - 12 pieces for critique, and if accepted, then I can display, sell and also do "volunteer" work at the gallery......which is "strongly recommended" if you know what I mean.

My thing is time to be able to commit, and I am not sure I want to do the whole tax thing..........I don't mind paying the taxes, but all the record keeping is not what I want to do at this point.

Another gallery John? Geez............you are on a roll, my friend! I have not yet attempted getting "juried" or even trying to sell anything..........but I have been thinking about it...........we have a local gallery that I can submit 10 - 12 pieces for critique, and if accepted, then I can display, sell and also do "volunteer" work at the gallery......which is "strongly recommended" if you know what I mean.

My thing is time to be able to commit, and I am not sure I want to do the whole tax thing..........I don't mind paying the taxes, but all the record keeping is not what I want to do at this point.
    Yeah...I know what you mean Roger. I've never sold anything either. But here I am...taking the plunge. As far as the record-keeping goes...that shouldn't be a problem, cuz I don't expect anyone to buy anything!!!
    ~john

Working on a another kiln dried piece. It's a 14" very wide rimmed "bowl" with a series of beads on the rim, with an experimental graphite finish. I have removed the bulk of the wood, and now it's adjusting to my shop for a couple weeks before I turn it to completion. I'm looking forward to the results!

I also have a large (20" tall) spalted hickory vase, a couple tall and narrow natural edge "vases", and an 18" walnut crotch "modern" vase (basically a vee shape) all waiting to be final turned and finished. I'ma gonna be busy!!! (I will say more about this as the date gets closer, but I have a gallery feature at a local furniture gallery. I may be exhibiting as many as 25 pieces. I am very excited, but rather behind schedule.)

Hutch

I've got a big red mallee burl cap on the lathe, and I'm stalling on finishing the sanding on the backside before reversing and hollowing. It should finish out at about 17x14x3.5 inches. I hate sanding...

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I took my 15 year old daughter driving on the streets for the first time last weekend, late evening so there was little traffic. She did really well. No white knuckles, no foot prints on the floor from me trying to hit the breaks.

robo hippy
    Oh then you are so lucky...I didnt sleep for weeks when I was teaching my daughter to drive, I was wishing for a steering wheel on my side....and a brake pedal as well...oh god I think the night mares are coming back now and its been 10 years since then!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

13. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Working on a another kiln dried piece. It's a 14" very wide rimmed "bowl" with a series of beads on the rim, with an experimental graphite finish. I have removed the bulk of the wood, and now it's adjusting to my shop for a couple weeks before I turn it to completion. I'm looking forward to the results!

I also have a large (20" tall) spalted hickory vase, a couple tall and narrow natural edge "vases", and an 18" walnut crotch "modern" vase (basically a vee shape) all waiting to be final turned and finished. I'ma gonna be busy!!! (I will say more about this as the date gets closer, but I have a gallery feature at a local furniture gallery. I may be exhibiting as many as 25 pieces. I am very excited, but rather behind schedule.)

Hutch
    Hutch........looking forward to your debut on these projects you have going. I took real interest in your thread with the 5 foot cherry vase..........wow! Good luck on your upcoming show!

14. Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I've got a big red mallee burl cap on the lathe, and I'm stalling on finishing the sanding on the backside before reversing and hollowing. It should finish out at about 17x14x3.5 inches. I hate sanding...
    David,

Is this one going to be a platter? That is a pretty good sized blank...........I would think with it being a cap that it might make a good platter for form........

David,

Is this one going to be a platter? That is a pretty good sized blank...........I would think with it being a cap that it might make a good platter for form........
    Platter/shallow bowl with a wide natural edge rim.