Thread: Mobile Workbench

Mobile Workbench

This weekend I finally got around to fixing the mobility problem I have had with my workbench. I did what Norm did for his assembly table, putting casters onto a board hinged to the lower stretcher, and a pair of jacks to hold the bench in position when it is up, and you pull the jacks out to lower the bench onto the legs. It works well though I am hoping that with some use, it will be a bit easier to make the mechanism work, as the hinges are a bit stiff despite some spritzes of WD-40 to lube them. I will try to post some photos if anyone is interested.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I'd be interested
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I would like to see some pictures as well. I need to add this capability to my workbench!
    -Brian

Me three. My casters are far too wobbly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I will try to post some photos if anyone is interested.

Doc
    I'd like to see the photos. I'm trying to decide on a plan for a workbench. Mobility is important but I'm wondering if I can skip the casters and just muscle the table around when I need to. What I recall from Norm's plan is that you lose storage below the table.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wood View Post
    I'd like to see the photos. I'm trying to decide on a plan for a workbench. Mobility is important but I'm wondering if I can skip the casters and just muscle the table around when I need to. What I recall from Norm's plan is that you lose storage below the table.
    I use my workbench out of my garage on the driveway often, so I was looking for good wheels under it. If all you are wanting to do is move it a couple of feet, you can muscle it, but any more than than, and you risk damaging the legs of it. In my case, I mortised in some big bolts into the ends to allow me to level it on uneven ground, and the bolt heads make a terrible racket when you scoot it around. I will try to get out some pictures later tonight. As to losing storage, I have a shelf under the benchtop, but I did not lose any storage except for stuff I might put on the floor, and even then, not much.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Photos, both up and down.

As you can see, this allows the casters to be hinged out of the way, and letting the bench sit on its legs. When you lift the bench, on one end, the jacks fall into place by gravity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My main bench weighs it at over a ton loaded, and has wheels. You just need bigger wheels........

I couldn't work very well in my small basement workshop without every major piece being mobile, including the workbench. I have good quality 4" heavy duty locking swivel casters on one end and just swivel casters on the other. When locked down, the workbench is stable. The workbench was made to be the same height as the Table saw even though I have a fold down outfeed table on the table saw. That on occasion is helpful.