Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass threads for urns

Brass threads for urns

I had several folks interested in the brass threads that were used in the cherry urn I posted, so I picked up another of the plumbing parts today so I could post pics. This piece is apparently called a "knuckle joint." The opening is about 2".

The nut was used for the female thread insert in the bottom of the urn by turning away the lugs and truing up the whole piece. It was flipped over and the face was turned to remove most of the rough texture. Then a portion of the male threaded piece was parted off to use on the lid/plug.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.8 KB, 81 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (96.5 KB, 71 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (94.4 KB, 69 views)

Thank you John.

I was wondering what you had used. It makes sense now.

Did you use your standard parting tool to turn these down John?
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

John, I like the idea of using brass instead of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    Did you use your standard parting tool to turn these down John?
    Yes and no. I used my HF parting tool for the trimming work on the nut - coming in from the side with very light cuts. I have a homemade tool in which I use planer blades in ground to various configurations - one of which is a parting tool (about 5/32") and that is what I used to part off the male threaded section. I held it pointed downward slightly below center in a negative scraping position - much smoother cutting!

John,

Thanks, headed tomorrow to my plumbing buddy's shop to see what's what. Now it looks as if I'll be checking into that hollowing system I've been putting off.

Perfect timing, thanks so much!!

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I have a homemade tool in which I use planer blades in ground to various configurations - one of which is a parting tool (about 5/32") Dear John:
    I have one of these, I have used it for 2 years, I have been going to make a handle on it , the other day it got hung, and cut my hand open, I hope yours has a handle :P
    Last edited by Dennis Simmons; 05-23-2011 at 7:35 PM.

Dennis, mine is made from a piece of square steel tubing - since this pic, I have made several different blade configurations.

Thanks for sharing the info John. May come in handy one day.
    mj

thanks for sharing, John

Pretty cool idea and something to file away for future projects! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Packard WoodWorks carries a 24k plated thread insert. I think it's about 1 1/2" dia. but can't remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    Packard WoodWorks carries a 24k plated thread insert. I think it's about 1 1/2" dia. but can't remember for sure.
    yes they do but if I remember correctly they were alot more expensive than John's setup... I am thinking they were around 14 bucks for one set... but that is if I remember correctly.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Thanks for the possibilities John!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    yes they do but if I remember correctly they were alot more expensive than John's setup... I am thinking they were around 14 bucks for one set... but that is if I remember correctly.
    I haven't looked at the insert from Packard's, but the cost of this piece was $7 - but, then one has some work to do. I think the issue with the one from Packard would be the opening. In order to insert the cremains (while still in the plastic bag) a 2" opening is just about the minimum size IMO. The other may work, though - certainly something to consider.

Edit - just looked up the Packard rings - they are only $5.50 per set - worth a try! I might check with the funeral director and get his thoughts on this - that would certainly make for an easier situation.

Last edited by John Keeton; 05-24-2011 at 7:03 AM.