Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlesworth vs Coseman Videos

Charlesworth vs Coseman Videos

I just finished watching the David Charlesworth and Rob Cosman Planing Sharpening and Chiseling videos..

IMHO Charlesworth is the man, I have always loved his books and lucky enough to convesre with him by email as well..

That really buged me about Cosman is he gives you a time as to how long he things it will take you to flatten a back or sharpen a bevel.. Not that he says to shapen till you get the correct scratch pattern on the iron..

Charlesworth is way over the top I feel in his methods but like that he is so meticulous about his methods..

I am wondering if anyone how as seen both feels the opposite??
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I have the Charlesworth chisel video and love it. He and Mr. Kingshott are my two favorites to watch. I have never watched one of Cosman's DVD's. Not to sound mean, or detract from his skills, but he comes off so arrogant that I couldn't imagine watching for a whole hour.
    Mr. Charlesworth, on the other hand, has such a pleasant demeanor that I can't help but like him. Same with Mr. Kingshott.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

IMHO, Cosman is in it for the money. hence no heart or soul.
    Charlesworth is in it for the EDUCATION... Hence he cares that ones working
    experience being a positive in ones life.
    If you ain't Cheatin', You ain't tryin'...

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A = X + Y + Z, Where X is work, Y is play, And Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein.

I have videos of both and think I learned something from them. I agree that Charlesworth's are more educational. I really like the detail he goes into. I also have several Jim Kingshott videos that I think are as good as any. He's educational, entertaining, and inspirational.

Kingshott rules. I've watched one Cosman dvd, a two-dvd set on making a precision fit drawer (LN doesn't seem to carry his dvd's any more); and it was OK, but too long, thus expensive, and his dovetailing method too fiddly for me, may be great for beginners. I think I'd give him credit for workable methods and a certain completeness. I've read a Charlesworth book, which was very good, but he's gotten too much attention for that ruler trick, anathema for this Japanese tool user (even David agrees).

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    I have never watched one of Cosman's DVD's. Not to sound mean, or detract from his skills, but he comes off so arrogant that I couldn't imagine watching for a whole hour.
    Mark,
    Too bad you feel that way...you are really missing out on some great videos. Rob is an excellent instructor and really a nice guy.

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Charlesworth is over the top, but there is such a density of ideas. I really like the Charlesworth chisel video and planing video and the 5 techniques for furniture making. (Haven't watched the sharpening one.)

The Cosman drawer making video is excellent, lots of details on dovetailing and drawer fitting. It's the best one I've seen by him.

Those four are really good. I watch them every other month or so.

Is it mean to say that I'd like to see them both get drunk and argue who was a better woodworker? Probably, but that would be fun.

(Which Kingshott video(s) would folks recommend, if they had to choose one or two?)

Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    ...(Which Kingshott video(s) would folks recommend, if they had to choose one or two?)
    Mortise & Tenons and Dovetails.

Pam

(Which Kingshott video(s) would folks recommend, if they had to choose one or two?)
    I think the Mortise & Tenons and Dovetails are very good, but so is his Bench Planes video. The Bench Plane video was invaluable to me when I was learning to use hand planes. Great for a beginner.

I also have his Sharpening and Specialty Planes videos. The latter two are not quite as good as the other three. There are better Sharpening videos. Craftsman's Studio has a pretty good deal on a package ($60) that includes everything but the Sharpening. Never ordered from the place and there may be better deals out there but this seemed reasonable.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/S28-96.htm

I have the basic handplane and DT videos. They are both excellent. I'd like to get my hands on a few of his books and some of the other DVD's one of these days. His handplane DVD was the one I got when I first wanted to learn about planes and get into woodworking.
    On nights when I don't feel like working on bikes or wood, I'll usually put on a Kingshott or Charlesworth vid instead of a movie.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Arndts View Post
    IMHO, Cosman is in it for the money. hence no heart or soul.
    Charlesworth is in it for the EDUCATION... Hence he cares that ones working
    experience being a positive in ones life.
    Shouldn't we support the success of anyone who promotes woodworking and educates people in the art of craftsmanship? Lets not turn this into a bunch of crabs in a bucket.

Ed

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket. " The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs. Individually, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in a useless "king of the hill" competition (or sabotage) which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise. The analogy in human behavior is that of a group that will attempt to "pull down" (negate or diminish the importance of) any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of jealousy, conspiracy or competitive feelings.

Nobody likes to feel like a greenhorn, and maybe Cosman makes people feel that way? He does have a line of tools to sell as well as others to promote, so of course that element is there and there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone is trying to cash in wherever "it" can be cashed in. Its what makes the world go round. I just don't like his face, but maybe I'm just jealous of his success, and, well, his better looking face.

I personally enjoy the hell out of Frank Klausz. He reminds me of some of the old journeyman I worked with in the trades, and his methods are sound.

Different styles.

I have gotten something out of all of the videos that I've watched, cosman or charlesworth. I never took sharpening seriously because before I ever tried it, I got the charlesworth video, followed it to a T and had a sharp edge the first time. It is such an advantage in this era to be able to get a video, pick up a tool, and make it sharp without having to do anything other than spend $20-$25 on a DVD.

I still use the method charlesworth shows on his videos when I sharpen my thin-ironed smoothers. It works perfectly every time, and with a couple of mechanical stops, it doesn't take long to use it.

I don't so much like videos that have commentary. I don't mind time in the videos where there is no noise but the tools, actually i kind of like it. Different people like different things, some folks probably think Charlesworth videos are sleepers - when I first started woodworking and got those videos, my wife groaned every time I put one in to watch. If she was in the room doing anything, she would fall asleep.

Of all the guys, though, that I would've liked to spend a day in their shop, I would choose Kingshott. He seemed like an interesting guy, and patternmakers work always seemed a little more interesting to me than furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I have gotten something out of all of the videos that I've watched, cosman or charlesworth.

[...]

I don't so much like videos that have commentary. I don't mind time in the videos where there is no noise but the tools, actually i kind of like it.

Agree! If you are a beginner like myself, any of these videos are a big shortcut.

The best ones really show, not describe, and have lots of close-ups to show what the desired result is supposed to be.

The best ones really show, not describe, and have lots of close-ups to show what the desired result is supposed to be.
    Lie Nielsen has really raised the bar for the lighting and filmwork in their videos. It's really superb quality, and the camera is right where you want to see. They probably do quite a bit of work to get it that way.