Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Charlesworth vs Coseman Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    As a full time remodeling contractor, I'll correct you. People aren't hungry for skill, they're trying to save a buck...
    Paul
    I certainly learned how to do various projects around the house to save a buck - I couldn't afford to hire people to do the work. I also found that I could control the quality if I did the project. It might have taken me all day to do a project that a professional could do in a couple of hours but I had the time and didn't have the money. I made some mistakes but I got better with each project.

I also learned that having a professional do the work did not guarantee a quality result.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I certainly learned how to do various projects around the house to save a buck - I couldn't afford to hire people to do the work. I also found that I could control the quality if I did the project. It might have taken me all day to do a project that a professional could do in a couple of hours but I had the time and didn't have the money. I made some mistakes but I got better with each project.

I also learned that having a professional do the work did not guarantee a quality result.

Mike
    +1 Same experience with "professionals." More accurately described as someone you pay fix something which may or may not get fixed. The key word is "pay."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    +2 to this.

The way I assess things is the cost of the project and if it is something I could benefit from learning (or have a desire to).

Most of the time it turns out that I could attempt the repair 2-3 times before I reach the cost of hiring someone. And then there is no guarantee that the job is done to my expectation level.

This method has yet to bite me in the rear. But I am sure it eventually will.
    However I have learned a great deal about vehicles, garden tractors, spray painting (interior walls), stove repair, dryer repair, the list goes on.
    What I have saved in money has afforded my family and myself many other nice things.

Josh

Johnny & Eddie (& the Moderators),

I'm going to agree and disagree with both of you here... (and likely get banned from SMC for my post)

Eddie... Perhaps you know Johnny better than I or have some preconceived notion, I do not know. While Johnny's post did open the door for the character assassination attempts that occurred what he said did not directly start it. IMO it should have caught the eye of the Moderators to follow the thread closely (or would have me on another forum I moderate).

The thread *could* have developed in a helpful way... such as..

I like X's videos because they show more close-ups..
    I like Y's videos because I think they better explain the *why* for each action...

..but it didn't.

Johnny... there were posts starting on that very first page that took this thread very personal. They went on to attacking the students of one instructor sufficiently that they jumped in to defend their students, opening themselves up to further attack. IMO, the original poster of any thread should make it known (and be very vocal) when their original post is being twisted into a character attack, (since it was not their intent).

Moderators... I'm with Eddie that this thread should have had strong moderator involvement starting with the first page, warning that such behavior will not be tolerated, unless character assassination is part of the community you wish to develop.

I'll stick up my hand and say I was remiss... I should have brought the Moderator's attention to this thread. Perhaps a few others feel this way too?

Hindsight is 20/20.
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 06-05-2011 at 5:40 PM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I don't see how anyone could take Johnny's thread title as an invitation to personal attacks. We can't always closely monitor every word we type,and the "vs" in the title apparently is the word in question here. Does "versus" necessarily mean something negative? I'm going to have to look up the exact and correct meaning of the word,(just to make sure of its use),but I doubt if it was used in an intentionally negative way to start the thread.

Johnny mentioned the content of the DVD that he didn't care for,the time given for sharpening. That was not an attack on the character of the teacher.

Edit: vs: It just means "in contrast to",or "as opposed to". Nothing negative there.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-05-2011 at 8:00 PM.

Great thread, ran it's course by about page 6, but I still read the whole thing. I have never watched a sharpening or dovetailing video. Would you guys suggest one by Cosman or Charlesworth?

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Great thread, ran it's course by about page 6, but I still read the whole thing. I have never watched a sharpening or dovetailing video. Would you guys suggest one by Cosman or Charlesworth?
    You almost made my Schlitz come out of my nose

This thread has actually been quite informative, though.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Charlesworth for precision layout and Frank Kluasz on the fly no measuring..

Frank Klausz if I had to pick one method to use..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    ...but he comes off so arrogant
    Thank You! I agree %100. I cannot get past his attitude.