Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to grow my own walnut trees

Blog Entries
    Leigh, our soil is heavy clay and stays pretty wet most of the year. Our black walnut tree is living. They do better in soil that isn't constantly wet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I planted a few dozen black walnut trees about 20 years ago.
    They grow very fast and are easily damaged for the first few years, then growth slows down and they get sturdier.
    The walnuts can be a mess, they can stain concrete if squashed and left to dry.
    Unless you are a teenager and plan on harvesting when you are old and grey you won't be growing your own, but your heirs may benefit.
    Dave

Check out http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...es/dd0505.html for some information on growing black walnuts. It discusses many topics such as tree spacing for lumber production, weed control, seed planting, pruning, etc. Could be very useful. I have heard of mature, top-quality black walnut trees selling for $10,000 or more. They could pay for your kids' or grandkids' college education. Good luck!

Raining again! Maybe next week if things dry out a little.
    The Plane Anarchist

On my property I have several walnut trees. Over the years I have let several grow that have just come up from the walnuts I missed in the fall of the previous year. Usually the lawmower tires plants them at just the right depth. Last week when I mowed around the existing walnut trees I noticed several young plants trying to get started from last years nuts that fell, so my anwser would be if the walnuts you have aren't too dried out, merely "jabbing" them just below the surface of the grass they should sprout. And BTW the trees I have let grow produce walnuts.

Robert

I have a very large English Walnut on my property. Squirrels are always "squirreling" away nuts. I found small walnut trees all over my property. They seem to be very easy to sprout and grow.