Thread: Making a dowel with the sawblade

Making a dowel with the sawblade

You gotta see this, What Kind of blade did he use?

http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=dwDj...0&feature=user

So much to see. So much to learn.

Blog Entries
    Neat idea, but I think four passes on a router is faster and would yield a smoother finish. On the large dowel, the hose clamp seemed to be a potential hazard to his hand as he was trying to steady the piece as it went through the cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Seems like a lot of work and risk for something you can buy for $1. I agree with Lee, if you need specific wood dowels, use your router. This method was risky at best and the dowel diameter didn't look consistent.

I went as far as to watch another vid the guy does on making wooden balls. He puts blocks in various stages of becoming round in a cup that has a disc sander for a bottom and lets the blocks bounce around for 90 minutes. Seems a little inefficient to me since the two pieces that did come out round were close to round to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    So much to see. So much to learn.
    One more example of why I buy my lumber...................that looks too much like work!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    If you are like me and live 12 miles from the nearest source and it is after closing time, you just might give it a try.

I have made dowels with a bead profile molding plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well they say there is always more than one way to skin a rabbit!

the obvious application of such things that is useful, if you think about it, is functional shutters.

you need to carve an end round, while leaving the center square.